Mysterios New Noise

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fridgeymonster3, Feb 7, 2008.

1. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

My new Mac Pro is making a mysterious "eerrrrrrr" noise. It is weird because it was making it and than all of a sudden my wife's cat whacked into it and it stopped. Then the stupid cat whacked into it again and it started again! I did just install a new hard-drive and memory but I was pretty careful with both having done it before. The hard-drive seems secure, could the noise be the fact that the hard-drive might just need to be tightened some? Any other thoughts?

2. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

It's probably related to the hard drives or fans buzzing slightly and when the curious cat jolts the case, it settles and unsettles the loose bits. I'd open the case (with the computer off) and make sure all the drives and fans seem snug... even a small wire leaning against a hard drive or fan can buzz. If it sounds lower and more like the hum of a transformer, it could be the power supply.

3. bld44 macrumors 6502

Does the noise go away if you release the hatch? I had it for a while when I put my 3rd drive in (a 1TB seagate) and releasing the hatch would stop the noise. I eventually broke down and kept reseating the drive till it stopped. Now, the noise is gone, but I've got resonance. It never ends.

4. fridgeymonster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I'll have to try releasing the hatch (after I make sure the drives are secured). But I don't have the noise right now so I'm not gonna screw with anything until it returns. So I'm just waiting for that cat to knock my MP again :rolleyes:

5. fridgeymonster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I have to say that releasing the hatch about 1/8th of the way fixed the reverberating noise. I was going crazy because I reset all the drives and still the noise than I pressed on the front of the mac pro by accident and the noise stopped, when I released it began again. So, tried your hatch trick and it works for now. Saved me from throwing something out the window! (Not my new mac pro, possibly my wife's cat ;))

6. deathshrub macrumors 6502

First of all you should probably keep the damn cat away from the multi-thousand dollar machine.

I swear, some people.. :rolleyes:

7. fridgeymonster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Believe me, I try to the best I can. But since we live in a one-bedroom apartment in LA my "office" is in the bedroom and I can't keep the two little rascals away. I have tethered my mac pro to a desk leg so know it is pretty secure and they can't really move it no matter how hard they bump into it.

On a side note, I have to assume you never have had kittens/young cats before. If you try to make sure they do not get into an area of your house they find a way to no matter what. They are like spineless, flexible houdini's!!:eek: