Mysterious battery drain???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nobodyjustwalks, Apr 3, 2015.

1. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

What the heck? Took a fully charged laptop off the charger 6 hrs ago and now I wake it up from sleep and the batteryʻs dropped 30%. That is definitely not normal.

Most Iʻd lose before is a few % and thatʻs over 24 hrs.

No Power Nap has not been enabled for battery. Does anyone know of any ways that I can track whatʻs eating away at the battery? Iʻm curious what the culprit is.

Thank as always for your advice!

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Look in the activity monitor (sorry you didn't say model or OS...), see what the Energy tab says.

Are you sure it wasn't already awake, ie it didn't sleep properly? Was it warm/hot?

3. nobodyjustwalks thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks for the input. Model and OS are in my sig. rMBP 15" mid 2014. Would the energy tab tell me what happened while sleeping? Not in front of computer right now.

Maybe it wasn't sleeping. But then again, that'd be weird because I always close the laptop and it sleeps. Weird.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Oh ok, your post read like it was some other random laptop.

You can tell from the Energy tab whether it was asleep, assuming it was in the last 12hrs or so.

There have been odd cases on here of MBPs not sleeping when the lid is closed (I've had it once in 4yrs)...that is most likely scenario.

5. nobodyjustwalks thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. Very interesting. Ok I will check it out when I get home. I'll also try recreating the drain with a fully charged battery. I mean you're right, if the battery's drained 30%, logically, something had to be going on.