Mysterious Battery Problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tonagasaki1979, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Tonagasaki1979 macrumors newbie

I have the following problem with my iPhone 3GS (2 years old), if anyone has any idea of what is causing it and if there is a solution then I would be very grateful:

1) The iPhone went dead after charging in a car charger and didn't wake up.
    2) I got a new battery and replaced it.
    3) When this battery ran completely out of juice, i plugged it into the wall but it wouldn't recharge again - instead gave me the red battery charge icon for a while and wouldn't switch. It turned into a brick.
    4) DFU, restarts etc with iTunes, holding various buttons - all the tips everyone gives out didn't do anything.
    5) New battery installed again, works okay.
    6) Completely ran out of juice - wont recharge again, same deal as last time.

I am on battery replacement number 3 now. Getting a little annoying.

Anyone have any idea why my iPhone seems to want to nuke my batteries or refuses to acknowledge the fact that after its batteries go to 0% it might actually be able to re-charge itself?:confused:

Cheers

T

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Try to avoid completely running your battery dry.

I assume that you are self-installing these batteries by disassembling your iPhone?

3. MacPlugin macrumors newbie

If you are repairing your iphone yourself I recommend that you do not go for the cheapest option out there. Most of the cheap iPhone batteries are complete crap. Pay for good parts.

4. Tonagasaki1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been replacing these myself by dismantling the phone. So this is a possibility that I have damaged something internally - although instinctively I want to say no as everything went back together as it was originally - or at least seems to. Guess I cant rule it out.

In terms of batteries - yes this was my first thought, I have three replacements now, and I know cheap batteries will be more likely to fail, but it seems a very unlikely coincidence that all these batteries failed in the same way because they are cheap. In fact the last one was a 'genuine :apple:' / more expensive battery and that still didn't keep going.

Was wondering if anyone knew the hardware that detects the battery level and then tells the iPhone how full it is? Perhaps this is damaged / sending a false signal?

Cheers

T

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds like the charge circuit in your phone is fried tbh

6. Tonagasaki1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting could be

Although, the phone charges normally as long as I keep it above 0%. As soon as it is drained it wont charge back up.:confused::apple: