Mysterious constant clicking/ticking noise when two finger scrolling

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kettybear, Feb 16, 2012.

1. kettybear macrumors member

I have a 2011 13" Air that I got in August. Recently, when I've been using my macbook in a silent room, I've noticed a weird clicking/ticking noise coming from the keyboard/trackpad area whenever I use two finger scrolling. The noise is really faint but it sort of sounds like the soft constant/fast clicking noise made by a hard drive when it starts up in an idle computer.

It sounds like the startup sounds made by this hard drive in the video except my sound is constant whenever I scroll.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QwAQyci2eA

I took my laptop to the Genius bar and I don't think the Genius understood my problem. He said something about tension in the trackpad and sensors under the glass and how the clicking is normal and proceeded to click/press down repeatedly on my trackpad to show me right clicks. :rolleyes: My problem does not happen when I click/tap the track pad. It just happens when I two finger scroll (which does not require pressing down). I googled this but no one seems to have this issue.

The trackpad works fine but the noise is driving me crazy!!! :( Anyone has any idea what's going on or if this is normal?

2. sylvermm macrumors newbie

You are not alone

You are not alone I have a 2011 MBA 13" and have the same problem. not only with the tackpad but with a magic mouse as well. I have no clue as to the reason

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

This is a long shot, but is there a setting somewhere that creates that sound when you scroll? In Preferences, Sounds perhaps?