Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Every once in a while I have these phases of crashings.

It began whith the kernel panics, whith no logs.

Then came the spurt of the computer not booting up into osx, it would crash at the grey screen (kernel panic).

After that, it started booting up into os9 instead of osx and while in os9 it didn't recognize the osx volume. Only afterdisk swpping an repare did it work.

Then a couple weeks ago, slowly, my programs started enexpectanly quitting: Aqulite (any version), quicktime 7 pro, mplayer, itunes, installers and even screensavers.

Another nasty effect of this was that it would often causethe screen to become unresponsive and the system would spend over 110% of the CPU time on GUI, the only thing that worked moved was the mouse. Downloads would continue, processes aswell. The only way out of this was to reboot, or to kill the GUI from remotely logged in from my other computer.

After I updated prebindings, optimized the disk, got rid of old apps and tweakers (quite carefully) everything went back to normal.

Yesterday I come back from vacation and itunes quits while i'm ripping a CD, then I get the frozen screen. I reboot and itunes won't launch without quitting. Other apps will quit too, and use up much of the cpu in doing so for a half second, sometime resulting in frozen screen syndrome.

If you have any speculation to offer, or better yet an actual idea as to what might be the cause (or causes), I would greatly appreciate your comment.

Feel free to ask questions!

Anyone who can offer help that improves my situation receives honorary priveledges to brag, and to ask help of me via msn. ~~~funkychunkz92@hotmail.com~~~

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Have you done fsck on the hard disk, or booted off an install CD/DVD and run "repair disk" (not repair permissions) from disk utility? And also is your HD SMART compatible, and is your SMART status verified? It really sounds like a HD problem, logical or physical, to me... although I could be very wrong, very easily. ;)

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Do you have anything hooked up to your computer other than the basics i.e keyboard, mouse.
If so you may want to disconnect everything else and see how it goes.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
I have a G4 single 1.25 Ghz (mdd, 2003) , with 1.25 gigs ram (came with 700 and some) it works the same way with the ram taken out. I have an external backup drive but is rarely on, and also a printer connection. Nothing too strange there.

My HD IS smart compatable, i'm not sure how to check to see if it's fine. I've run virus check for my whole system, erased ALL "deleted" files, and have run permission check, and disk repair (booted from drive genius).

I have never fsked my system and probably never will.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
funkychunkz said:
Another nasty effect of this was that it would often causethe screen to become unresponsive and the system would spend over 110% of the CPU time on GUI, the only thing that worked moved was the mouse. Downloads would continue, processes aswell. The only way out of this was to reboot, or to kill the GUI from remotely logged in from my other computer.
COLOR]
I had an iBook that would do something similar to this. It would freeze, not responding in any way, with the exception of the mouse moving. The only way I could get it working was to restart.

--I then tired everything I could think of -- PRAM, NVRAM, Power Managment unit (on a 'book), repairing permissions, hardware test (which said everything was ok), and finally erasing and zeroing out the HD, but nothing worked.

--come to find out it was a bad logic board, and we had to send it back to apple to get fixed for a one time fee of about $300

--if you have applecare, send it in to get looked at, if not try and figure it out and hopefully you won't ahve the same fate.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Update: I fixed itunes by deleteing the playlist file, this probably means that either the program was recieving an out of bounds instrution due to some specific (probably small) problem, or that the file was corrupted. Does any one recommend that I should check the system files for corruption? Or to simply reinstall them?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
funkychunkz said:
Update: I fixed itunes by deleteing the playlist file, this probably means that either the program was recieving an out of bounds instrution due to some specific (probably small) problem, or that the file was corrupted. Does any one recommend that I should check the system files for corruption? Or to simply reinstall them?

If that cures the problem, then you don't need to do anything more IMO. The secret to good diagnostics is, when the problem goes away, to immediately stop fixing things. :)

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
IJ Reilly said:
If that cures the problem, then you don't need to do anything more IMO. The secret to good diagnostics is, when the problem goes away, to immediately stop fixing things. :)

Remember that this wasn't the only problem

untamedhysteria

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
yeah...try backing up everything that you need and then do a reinstall...hopefully it's just a lot of corrupted system files

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
funkychunkz said:
Once I had a problem with corrupted boot sectors, but that was fixed. After this I enabled journaling.

This is a bad sign. Check the S.M.A.R.T. status using Disk Utility. Click on the drive info in the left panel (NOT the hd name). The status is at the bottom. If it's anything except "verified", be worried.

What version of OS X are you running?

As noted above.. haxies sux0rs.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
yellow said:
This is a bad sign. Check the S.M.A.R.T. status using Disk Utility. Click on the drive info in the left panel (NOT the hd name). The status is at the bottom. If it's anything except "verified", be worried.

What version of OS X are you running?

As noted above.. haxies sux0rs.

Sorry I made a mistake, my OTHER mac has a smart drive, so I'm left in the dark here.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
kingjr3 said:
What kind of tweakers??? System Hacks, UI hacks???

Lots of U.I, since been all been set to default, I usually stay away from system hacks, unless they are simply hidden features. I learned my lesson from before I had to do a clean install... :rolleyes:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
UI hacks can cause stability issues quite easily. Your next step should be logging in as another user and seeing if you have the same problems with that user as you're seeing with your main user.

IMO, your kernel panix are probably hardware related. It's VERY odd that an MDD's hard drive DOESN'T have S.M.A.R.T. VERY odd. It SHOULD have that.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
If anyone is still checking here...

I re-installed panther, install disc 1 goes in installs. NP

I hit restart, and when it shows the progress bar it never gets past "login window starting" !

I tried booting from install disc 2 but that doesn't work, it isn't a boot disc I guess, so logically you go to boot it normally, but this doesn't work.

What have I done wrong?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Did you do an Archive & Install preserving Users & Networking? Maybe this is a hardware issue and you haven't done anything wrong..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.