Mysterious Data usage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Richie14B, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Richie14B macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Since 5 days after buying my iPhone 4, I have been getting texts from AT&T that I'm going over my data limit. ATT doesn't know what's up. Apple doesn't know what's up. A week ago, Apple advised me to take all of the non original iPhone apps off my phone, which I did, and I'm still using up gobs of data unexplainably. Apple has decided to replace my phone.
    I had been given the opportunity to replace my phone right away, but I felt it was better to try and be a trooper and see if I could help Apple/ATT solve the problem by holding on to this phone. No dice. Apple has thrown in the towel. They told me ATT said that some app on the phone is responsible for the data usage, but they don't know which one. After the week of just stock iPhone apps resulted in still high data use, Apple decided to send me a new phone. I hate to leave the problem unresolved. And I hate to give in. My question is: is there an app out there, or in development that can get it's hooks into the iOS and other apps on an iPhone that can accurately log data usage specific to individual apps? Dataman can tell you that your using data as a whole, but it doesn't tell you WHICH app is sucking the life out of your data plan.

Help!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How much high data usage are we talking about and do you have the 200mb or 2GB plan?

3. Richie14B thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have the 2GB plan. And I've gone over it in under a week. Then ATT sells me the next gig for $10 and I blow through that in a day or two. Last month I paid out an extra $120 in data overages. Yes, I said $120.00.

4. Richie14B thread starter macrumors newbie

On average, I just use this phone for reading my email, for doing the occasional google search, and when in season, checking baseball scores via Mlb2010. I never view a video longer than a minute or two, and when I do that it can't be more than 2 or 3 times a month. I don't stream movies and only rarely download the occasional song or two. Ideas? All that is left on here is what came with the phone and still I use up all this data.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's weird. You blew by the extra 1GB in a day or 2?

6. Richie14B thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish I could post a video of me scrolling through all the texts from ATT telling that I was either nearing, or going over my data usage

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats crazy:D
    So you got a replacement you said? How is that going?

8. Richie14B thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Richie14B thread starter macrumors newbie

Nobody?

10. johnoporritt macrumors member

Maybe a stupid point but did you use you data plan to download apps as it drains data plans really quickly

11. Richie14B thread starter macrumors newbie

Very rarely. Last month I went through 14 gigs. Fourteen!

12. xela24678 macrumors regular

i would just be glad that I would be getting a new phone. If the new phone comes in and it continues, then it might be ATT and not the phone.

13. Richie14B thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true. That was, in fact, Apple's opinion as well. Apple, I must say, was very helpful and tried their best to figure this out.

I just wish someone would come out with an app that tracks individual app data usage. Then I could pinpoint the culprit responsible for zapping the life out of my data plan.