Mysterious Dead MacBook Pro, revives after 3 Days

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Darkfire, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Darkfire macrumors newbie

Short story, I prefer them here.
    MacBook Pro 1,1 with recently installed hard drive (WD, flawless operation, highly recommended) dies. Upon pressing of power button, nothing but soft click heard. No chime, screen, anything. So, not hard drive. I suspected motherboard; SMC was reset, still no fix.
    Laptop was cool before sudden turn-off and in the intervening time.
    Sits on a counter for two days, and, now, is just fine. Started up as quickly as ever, no hiccups, all settings and preferences intact. In shorter terms, just &@#%ing fine.

Anyone here ever have a computer suddenly, inexplicably die, then apparently resurrect itself?
    More importantly, anyone have any idea what it could've been?

Can't be memory, hard drive, or graphics, all check out now (Thank you, TechTool Pro).

I'm lost, but happily so.
    ~

Attached Files:

2. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Santa Jobs came to your house and fixed it. Also check for massive iTunes credits or giftcards in your socks.

I can't see the photos, but I think that something inside overheated, and took a long time to cool.

Or the humidity in the air didn't allow the power to successfully be transferred...

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

We will never know, unless it dies again.... :(

But hopefully not :)

4. newdeal macrumors 68020

either water on the logic board or an issue with the powersupply...had the exact same thing happen on an Asus laptop, they replaced the logic board and all was fine again (even helped my battery life)

5. Darkfire thread starter macrumors newbie

In Vegas

Not humidity, but things have been spilled on it, six+ months ago.
    Trippy.

6. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

perhaps its the Messiah of laptops? The son of Jobs?

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

sounds like a video card issue to me .....i have seen it before, work one day...and not the next.

X1600?