Mysterious facetime problem

graphicdisaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Hi guys,

I've been very frustrated with this facetime problem

I want to try facetiming with my girlfriend, she's in China, I'm in U.S.

everytime I facetime her it says XXX is not available for facetime,

however, she can facetime with her friends in China, not only that she can also facetime with her American friends

on my end, I can facetime with my friends here in U.S.

its just us that can't facetime eachother(we both use wifi and iphone5, im on ATT)

On her end instead of showing"XXX is not available for facetime", it shows just a black sreen which looks like trying to connect me and goes forever, never connects

*this issue is happening on all of my devices, not only iphone

Anyone can help me on this? I asked people in Apple store, they all feel its very strange

Thanks a ton!
Roger

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Perhaps she's not real? :p

I've had similar issues using FaceTime with people in China. I'm starting to think their firewall is blocking everything.

graphicdisaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Perhaps she's not real? :p

I've had similar issues using FaceTime with people in China. I'm starting to think their firewall is blocking everything.
I haven't tried facetime with people in China other than my girlfriend, but I know some of my friends here in U.S. facetime with their parents in China everyday, all works for them

ive read a lot of threads tried a lot of things, just wont work:confused:

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Ask your friends if either they or the folks in China are using a VPN. It might be China's firewall.

My husband works overseas (not in China though) and in some countries he has to use a VPN to get through their firewall. It's a small monthly charge.

Good luck

deanfx4u

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Hi guys,

I've been very frustrated with this facetime problem

I want to try facetiming with my girlfriend, she's in China, I'm in U.S.

everytime I facetime her it says XXX is not available for facetime,

On her end instead of showing"XXX is not available for facetime", it shows just a black sreen which looks like trying to connect me and goes forever, never connects

Thanks a ton!
Roger
Interesting