Mysterious IC (2007 MacBook)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pockett, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Pockett, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018

Pockett macrumors member

Pockett

I decided to open up a late 2007 MacBook, also known as the 'Santa Rosa' model to replace the 10-year-old thermal paste. Once I got past removing the heat sink, I was greeted by the CPU itself, as well as another integrated circuit which as of right now, I still have not identified.

The chip closer to the screen is the CPU. I tried doing a few Internet searches to find out what the other one is – no findings.

[​IMG]

Here is a close-up of the IC. I have identified the model number as LE826T965, but couldn't find anything online about it.

[​IMG]

If anyone has any ideas or knows what this chip does it would be great to hear.

2. AL1630 macrumors 6502

AL1630

I googled the SLAMJ on the chip, and I found this eBay listing. That makes me think it's something that has to do with the processor or graphics, or may actually be the CPU. In my '09, that's where the graphics chip is, but IIRC the 2007 has integrated graphics. Just my thoughts.

3. iMacC2D, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018

iMacC2D macrumors 6502a

4. Pockett thread starter macrumors member

Pockett

Thanks to both of you for the time and effort, the block diagram gave me a better understanding on how the parts communicate. This might explain why the CPU die was rather small compared to what you see in newer computers, since components such as this northbridge weren't integrated into the package yet.