Mysterious iPad dock connector problem

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rcp27, Aug 21, 2011.

1. rcp27 macrumors regular

I'm having a very peculiar problem with my iPad that I thought I'd throw open to the community to see if they have any thoughts on fixing it. I came back from a trip away, went to plug in my iPad to charge and nothing happened. I then went to plug it into the computer (different connector cable) and again, no joy, iTunes didn't see it, it didn't do the bleep when plugged in, nothing. I tried my iPhone, to see if there was a problem with the cables, and it charged and synced and everything, so that suggests the problem is with the iPad rather than the cables or computer. Great. So I take the iPad to the local apple store, explain the problem to the genius, who gets out his laptop and connector cable, plugs it in, and bleep ... syncing. So I think to myself perhaps there was a bit of dirt in the port on the iPad that the process of carrying it to the store dislodged, and everything is good again. Until I get it home, and it won't connect (either cable, either the charger or the compute, but the iPhone still works on both). Any thoughts on where to go from here?

2. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Buy a new cable/charger.

Your ipod/iphone will charge with a normal usb cable, the ipad needs a higher chaging rate and I believe uses a different spaced conductor.

Your cable/charger is bad, but it still lets through the normal usb 500mA charging connection (so your iphone charges).

Your ipad generally would never charge from a computer, since it only puts out 500mA insteadof 2 amps.

Or take your ipad/cable/charger to the genius bar and let the "genius" figure it out.