Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tapetv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
Before coming across as a noob asking: my machine has a problem, fix it for me, allow me to shortly introduce it.

My 2013 Trashcan always had some weird stuff mostly attached to graphics: once I seemed to have solved it by replacing my mouse: go figure.... Recently my graphics card got fried. it was replaced and tested at a certified Apple repair-service and all was well. Back home, as soon as everything was attached, the weirdest things happened: fans going full speed (no image), vertical stripes and no response to hardware reboot, screens flashing on and off... Long story short: after some fiddling, I got it up and running again (and of course notified the repair service about this weird behavior)
Now I (we) have been troubleshooting this problem, always starting in (forced) verbose mode to log and see what's happening. Almost 90% of boots are either:
- Vertical stripes with boot process running over it (I have to unplug to reboot)
- Boot complete - black screen, auto-reboot, fine.
- Boot complete, Apple logo, black screen, auto reboot
- Boot complete, Apple logo, glitches than fine
The vertical stripes (all colors, never the same) seem to point to hardware struggle. In all cases it seems to relate to either Thunderbolt-distribution for my 4 displays needing to be fired up (2 TB, 1 HDMI, 1TB to HDMI) and also sometimes open windows/apps of the session before have switched monitors.
Problem is: the machine works flawlessly all day long (only a beach ball once every 4 or 5 days on heavy duties). EtreCheck Pro can't find a thing. Removed some old kext's, no change.

So where do I look to find the source for this? With just one monitor, the system just boots fine. Is there a faulty or old driver at work? Some rotten kext-file from previous systems?
Before I post the log-files I gathered: where should I look?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.