Mysterious menu bar item ghost app?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Jantelagen, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Jantelagen, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

I think this problem has been around for me since Mountain Lion, but I can't remember that right now.

I updated to Mavericks and suddenly I noticed that I have a menu bar item that has a fixed place but doesn't show anything. I can click on it, and it disappears, only to return when it damn well pleases. I have a dual screen setup, and if I click it away on one monitor, it stays on the other until I click that one too.

I've gone through my login items and there's nothing there I think is the culprit. I'm the only user so another accounts login items is no worry. I have a theory though - I've always connected my iMac through WiFi before, but now I've switched to ethernet, and therefore I just CMD-dragged the WiFi icon off the menu bar. I didn't do a clean install of Mavericks, so maybe there's something left from ML, but I switched to ethernet while running ML so that's pretty improbable.

Menu bar.png

Login.png

2. jacobochs macrumors newbie

Its the ghost of the "Display Menu" .app that was removed previously

I know this because I just removed mine and did everything I could to remove any trace of it but I dunno how to get rid of it. It is all post boot so I guess it doesnt affect boot issues. Oh well.... it was a great app except OSX always said it was damaged.

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

There are also several other places to check for startup items incl: under lib starupitems folder, and launchagents and launchdaemons folders. Look in both root lib and you users lib as well.

4. Jantelagen thread starter macrumors regular

Jantelagen

For anyone with a similar problem finding this thread - I downloaded a free app called Broomstick which can hide menu bar items, and more importantly, list it for you. Using that app, I noticed that I had an old "LogMeIn" menu bar item, and after a quick google search I deleted the remnants of the app and now my menu bar behaves like it should again!