Mysterious menu bar item ghost app?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Jantelagen, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Jantelagen, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

Jantelagen macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2010
    I think this problem has been around for me since Mountain Lion, but I can't remember that right now.

I updated to Mavericks and suddenly I noticed that I have a menu bar item that has a fixed place but doesn't show anything. I can click on it, and it disappears, only to return when it damn well pleases. I have a dual screen setup, and if I click it away on one monitor, it stays on the other until I click that one too.

I've gone through my login items and there's nothing there I think is the culprit. I'm the only user so another accounts login items is no worry. I have a theory though - I've always connected my iMac through WiFi before, but now I've switched to ethernet, and therefore I just CMD-dragged the WiFi icon off the menu bar. I didn't do a clean install of Mavericks, so maybe there's something left from ML, but I switched to ethernet while running ML so that's pretty improbable.

Menu bar.png

2. jacobochs macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2014
    Its the ghost of the "Display Menu" .app that was removed previously

I know this because I just removed mine and did everything I could to remove any trace of it but I dunno how to get rid of it. It is all post boot so I guess it doesnt affect boot issues. Oh well.... it was a great app except OSX always said it was damaged.
  3. xgman macrumors 601

Aug 6, 2007
    There are also several other places to check for startup items incl: under lib starupitems folder, and launchagents and launchdaemons folders. Look in both root lib and you users lib as well.
  4. Jantelagen thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2010
    For anyone with a similar problem finding this thread - I downloaded a free app called Broomstick which can hide menu bar items, and more importantly, list it for you. Using that app, I noticed that I had an old "LogMeIn" menu bar item, and after a quick google search I deleted the remnants of the app and now my menu bar behaves like it should again!