Mysterious Missing Songs in iTunes 8

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by archonium, Sep 19, 2008.

1. archonium macrumors newbie

I have had an incident today whereby mysteriously 10 songs have been deleted from my iTunes library.

NO I did not delete the song by accident
    NO I did not by mistake move the source files
    YES I have googled and search the Apple forums as well as here only to find threads and post about others having the same problems but no solution and or explanation to it

I am using iTunes 8 now, and the 10 songs were just random deletions. On 2 cases the songs were in the same folder (album) as another song. But it just isn't there now. So its definitely not attributed to a BAD XML or LIB file. If that's the case the source won't get deleted. There is also nothing in the trash.

Any ideas?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Have you tried to repair the disc. It is possible that there are actually bad sectors on your HD that caused the original files to become corrupted and unreadable.

TEG

3. macdirk macrumors newbie

archonium,

Did you find the reason for your problem?
    I'm experiencing the same problem. I didn't delete nor moved the files. But from random albums, files -lots of files- are missing.
    First I was thinking of disk failure as TEG suggested, but it is bigger problem..

I've got my complete Itunes library with 'Itunes music' folder on an external disk attached to an airport extreme. So I can access it with both Imac and Macbook.
    Next to this I have got a local library on the macbook for syncing the Iphone and to have some music with me when I'm not at home.
    From both 'Itunes Music' maps files from albums with the same origin are missing. But not always the same files. For example: Macbook: track 1 and 3 are missing. External Lacie: track 1,4, 6 and 11 are missing.

I've got no clue what has gone wrong! Any ideas?

4. loudland macrumors newbie

I have hundreds of missing songs on a brand new laptop, repairing permissions does not work, apple scripts do not work, apps like mp3 repair do not solve the problem... I have the most resent updates for everything... This happens to CD's that I import as well as downloaded music. The only conflict that seems possible is that I am storing all these files on an brand new hard drive that I formatted Fat32. And I have done this twice. My PC's have no issues with the songs... and all my Macs have never had any problem accessing the drive. And on another note, i had the same missing song problem when my itunes library was on the mac drive. I am sorry buy this totally sucks! I really want to control my music on the Mac side of things but it seems likes the PC side is more stable... please, someone help! I can't re-copy all my files ever few days into itunes... it takes like 8 hours.

thanks.