Mysterious "New sign-in to Firefox"

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by desertman, Feb 16, 2017.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

Since two days (and never before) I am suddenly getting several times a day a mail from accounts@firefox.com saying this:

"New sign-in to Firefox
    For added security, please confirm this sign-in to begin syncing with this device:
    Apple Mail on iOS
    [my correct location], United States (estimated)
    IP address: [my correct IP address]
    3:54:35 PM (MST) Thursday, Feb 16, 2017"

The time listed above is the time I used Mail on my iPad the last time (but not the first time today, and I got such an email only one time today).

I do have a Firefox account and synchronize data between my desktop and my laptop Macs (I use Firefox on my Macs but not on my iPad, although it is installed there since a long time), therefore I would understand to get such an email when Firefox on my Macs wants to log into my account - but why would "Apple Mail on iOS" try to sign in to my Firefox account, why would any mail client trying to do this?

I find this very strange and hope that somebody here can explan this to me.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Aside from this being some sort of a spam/scam email, perhaps it might be related to something going on on Firefox's side of things?

It seems like just today their iOS Firefox app was updated and the update information basically said the following: "This release fixes a bug that prevented some people from logging in to their Firefox Account or to create a new account". Not sure if it might be related in some way, but perhaps something has been going on recently in relation to Firefox Accounts (and iOS)?

3. desertman, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not a scam. I get the same email when I log into my Firefox account from my Mac (then correctly naming the device "Firefox on Mac OS X 10.12").

Just checked in AppStore on my iPad and can see that the latest version of Firefox is "pending" for being updated but has not been updated so far. I also like to point out again that I don't use Firefox on my Mac and the email from Firefox claims that (iOS) MAIL wants to sign in to my Firefox account.

4. cswifx Suspended

cswifx

There is a possiblity Firefox is using Apple's Mail for iOS user agent, misleading the service into thinking it's the Mail app, or Mozilla did something in the backend and screwed up the detection. I'm not too sure either, but that's the only logical explanation I can give.

5. rshrugged macrumors 6502a