Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Sounds like the fan bearing is on it's way out to me. Might be worth taking it in if it's still under warranty. One of the fans in my imac does this and I've heard the sound enough to know what it is.

Usually goes away as the machine warms up.

demsteelers1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks

Thanks for your insight! If it is the fan, how much would it cost to replace off warranty?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I don't know but a the fan costs them maybe 5 bucks the work for dismantling the whole thing and putting it back together is anyones guess.
Shouldn't be too expensive.

To me it sounds like there is something in the fan that gets in contact with the fan blades. You could take it apart yourself and have a look if it is out of warranty anyway.

You can also buy a fan from ifixit.com for some 50 bucks and do it yourself.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
It almost sounds like a disc spinning full speed in the optical drive. Stupid question but, do you have a disc in the ODD?

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Probably the fan, then. Dead easy to replace it. If its no longer under warranty, there's no way I'd pay someone to do such an easy job.

HERE is a walkthrough on how to do it.

HERE is the part.

I'm assuming it's the left one. If it's the right, still just as easy. Pull the back off your machine and have a look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.