Mysterious noise when booting MacBook (White)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MusicGuy1984, Feb 8, 2011.

1. MusicGuy1984 macrumors newbie

A friend of mine has one of the white plastic Apple MacBooks. It's having an issue where it sounds like either a fan or something is rubbing or the audio card/speakers are sounding a weird sound like it has some sort of glitch happening.

I can't fully tell where exactly the sound is coming from but it's fairly audible and something you can tell is NOT a normal function of this setup. I have recorded the sound for you to hear. Anyone know what this issue may be? I have seen other threads and youtube videos of Apple Laptop noises but none sound like this one. Any help?

here is the audio clip:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/446956467/Dans_Computer_Sound.mp3

2. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I'm not going to download the file, upload the audio clip to youtube or something if you want someone to hear it.

This question pops up along though, that "grind grind" sound when the Mac starts up. It's completely normal, and nothing to worry about. If your describing what I think you are, it should make the sound just before the bootup chime.

Beyond that, upload the audio clip in a safer manner and we can have a listen. Your going to be hard pressed to find someone who will sift through rapidshare to listen, or even risk the potential for a virus if they are on a Windows machine. Turn it into a video and upload it to youtube would be my suggestion.

-John