Resolved Mysterious "Other..." Account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imswimmin, Nov 10, 2011.

1. imswimmin, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

imswimmin macrumors regular

So, today I shut down my macbook air, and when I restarted it, I saw another login account called "Other...". When I click it, it asks me for a name and password. My normal account does not ask for the name, as it is already there. Did someone from my school hack into my computer, or is this a result of something I may have accidentally done? Is there any way of getting rid of it?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Log into an admin account and remove the "other" account in the Accounts part of System Preferences.

3. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

Are you connected to a directory server for your school (such as Mac OS X Server or Active Directory)? If so, the Other... item is there to allow other people with network accounts to log into the computer.

I don't know if there's a way to turn it off....

4. imswimmin thread starter macrumors regular

It's so weird since the account is not showing up in User & Groups.

And no, I don't believe that I am connected to any sort of directory. We all have our own laptops in our study center, so I don't think anyone would even need to use my computer.

Is there any way to hack into it. I've tried using my normal account's name and password and my Apple ID and its respective password to no avail. Is there an way to possibly hack into it and figure what in the world it is?

Thanks for the help!

----------

Aha! I figured it out! Turns out, while messing around in terminal the other day, I enabled the root account. No biggie! Thanks for the help though! :D