Mysterious shared computer

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TyWahn, Apr 25, 2009.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

There is an unknown computer showing up in the sidebar of my MacBook (running 10.5.5) under "shared." It's called "mac02354a......"
    It shows up under my the iMac which I am posting this with.
    It says I am connected as a guest, but don't know what it is or where it came from. If I right-click on it under Get Info it says PC Server. I don't own a PC.
    Another strange thing is, its not showing up on my iMac.
    How do I disconnect, or get rid of it? Should I be worried?

THanks.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

3. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

No. I turned all sharing off. (at least in the moderator user) The other user isn't even logged in.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

That is someone else who has their Mac shared. I see a whole list of them when I'm at the office or a hotel so perhaps a neighbor has a Mac and has it shared.

Cheers,

5. larubia macrumors newbie

Hi, all. I joined tonight because I have this same issue and all of the threads running on this topic seem to have petered out.

The screenshot above is what I have - a very PC-looking icon, which "get info" tells me is a PC Server. The oddest thing about it is that it has a name that is the same as my computer's name, except: where I have capital letters, it has lowercase.

People have mentioned Time Machine, Airport Extreme, neighbors' computers. Since it has my mac's name, the idea that it's someone in the neighborhood doesn't really sit. All sharing is off. I have done nothing new on the Mac lately. BUT: I have an iPhone. I don't sync every day, but I did sync today because I downloaded an app in the iPhone store that, in order to sync, one needs to get to an outside website. However, I have not set up synching or used the app, or even gone to the app creator's website. This is the ONLY thing I can think of that might have anything to do with this weirdness.

Help! And thanks.

[**ALSO POSTED ON OTHER THREAD W/SAME TOPIC**]

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you have Windows or Print sharing turned on?