Mysterious upload bandwidth eater

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hookem12387, Apr 20, 2010.

1. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Something is spiking my network bandwidth use while on campus. It seems to be mostly upload. The only things I really have open are echefon for twitter and mail. Anyone have any ideas?

2. jtara macrumors 65816

Plus that malware. I'm just sayin...

Or... you wouldn't happen to use a WiFi router with no security?

3. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

If it is malware, best advice to get rid of it? Not sure how it would have gotten here, but wtv. Also, my mail is acting strangely, as in it hasn't updated for quite some time

Edit: And this is happening on campus, not at my place, so I'm guessing the router wont matter. But no, it is password protected

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

How much is the spike e.g., 5-8kbs, 50-70kbs, 500kbs, etc.? Is it continuous or happen regularly? Have you checked the school's terms of service for their network? Perhaps there's some scan they do.

5. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

I talked with the IT folks at the law school today, if I can't figure out I'm just going to have to make the hike to the main campus, they may know more. I really don't know exactly how much it's spiking, but it's enough for the school to think I'm running something P2P and bump me down to our lower (dial up speed) tier.

It's a real pain trying to do research when my internet is from 1997. I'm running clamxav to see if it can find anything.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

ClamXAV is only good for catching Windows stuff. You can give iAntivirus (free) a go, though this doesn't really sound like a trojan/malware issue. LittleSnitch would be really helpful here. The free trial may be enough to pinpoint the problem.

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Has someone hacked your login? Perhaps they are uploading stuff on your account/login?

8. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out those 2 programs mentioned. I'm definitely wondering about the account hacking. I may have to venture over to main campus next week. Thanks