Mysteriously can't read/write to Vista Share??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by odinsride, Feb 10, 2008.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I have a folder shared on my PC (Vista Ultimate x64). I have been able to read/write to it with my MBP for the past month with no problems, but all of a sudden it now mounts with no files displayed, and if I try to copy a file to it, it goes through the copying progress dialog but once it's done, nothing is there.

If i refresh the share on my vista machine while copying a file to it, the file shows up there, but once the transfer is over everything mysteriously disappears.

I have tried rebooting my Mac, and tried removing and recreating the share, but no luck.

Any ideas???

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Have you used third party software to enable read/writing to what I assume is an NTFS drive? Perhaps it was a trial and has expired?

3. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

No, I haven't. Macs should be able to read/write to NTFS shares over a network by default.

4. Scottcop macrumors member

Welcome to Vista.
    The Wow starts now!
    I would right click on the folder in question(from windows) and just check the permissions.
    My windows machine has a habit of forgetting settings

Edit, sorry just re-read your post, no idea what to suggest.

5. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I wasn't aware of that. I thought reading would work but not writing.

6. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

upon fiddling with some of the settings under Sharing in sys prefs It now magically works again. mac/pc networking is such a headache! :(