Mystery application opens and swiftly closes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spaceboots06, Jul 24, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hi,

Several times already I've seen some mysterious application open, go to the dock to the right of system preferences and 0.5 seconds later close. Today it opened and closed when I played a flash movie in Safari but I think it has happened on other occasions. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

You could get ready to take a screenshot right when it opens?
    If it's not harming anything, I don't think it's a problem.

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

could be a plugin you have installed. Open system preferences and check the icons at the bottom of the preference panes. Do any of those icons match the one you see popping up?

Also, check your 'Applications' folder for any apps that may have the same icon.

If it's not there, try invoking it by playing a flash video in safari or something, and grab a screen shot of it (Command + Shift + 3). Post it here to see if we can find out what it is.

4. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Interesting. It could be the updater app to an add-on or something else that is running, like Adobe has.

5. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hmm, well, in System Preferences under Other I have

[X] Logitech Control Center
    [?] DivX
    [?] Flip4Mac
    [?] MacFUSE
    [X] Microsoft Keyboard
    [X] MultiClutch
    [?] Perian

Xs indicate me thinking it's not likely for these to be the ones popping up.

I'll try to grab a screenshot of this thing but I really only flashes for a second. I'm running a fairly new install of Leopard too, about half of a week I've had it.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Have you looked in the system logs? Does it appear in your recent applications list?

7. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Because it happened this morning it isn't in my recent applications list; do you know where I could check the system logs?

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Apps sometimes leave some message on the system.log, which you can easily browse via 'Utilities -> Console'. But that might be a long shot because some apps I just opened haven't left any.

9. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Alright, thanks. Next time I see things thing pop up I'll check both places that were suggested.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

The system logs are your best bet--whatever it is should leave some sort of note there.

That said, I'll add that Logitech Control Center's automatic updater definitely does exactly that--single half-bounce then gone. However, I'm pretty sure it only checks once a day at most (probably less, at least that I notice), so it might be another update-checker you're seeing. As an amusing side, an earlier version of LCC's updater would forget to quit after checking, leading to an increasing number of little updater processes in the dock. Logitech never has been able to program their way out of a wet paper bag, though.

Perian, Flip4Mac, and DivX also all have auto update checkers, but they all run invisibly so far as I know (like a good updater should), so it's probably not any of those.

11. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

7/25/09 5:05:17 PM LCCDaemon[141] Opening LCC Update in automatic mode

It was Logitech Control Center! Thanks for the help guys, the console thing worked.