Mystery backups on my hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Rawkfist, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Rawkfist macrumors regular

Rawkfist

Just updated to Lion and now have about 45 GB of "backups" now on my HD. I only had about 35 GB on the HD before the move to Lion. Where did all of those GB come from and how do I get rid of it? My HD is a 128GB SSD so I need all of the room I can get. Any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW I regularly use Time Machine on an external drive.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's time machine making local backups while you are not connected to the time machine drive.

IIRC you stop it with sudo tmutil disablelocal or some such.

3. marc11 macrumors 68000

I would not worry about it, OSX will free up that space if other apps or you need it automatically and when you look at your free space that reserved amount is not considered. Me I just ignore it, but if you want go to TM preferences and disable "local back ups" that will turn it off.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe it won't matter too much but being on a SSD, I prefer not incurring excessive or unneeded writes. I disabled local snapshots so that all my back ups go to my NAS

5. Rawkfist thread starter macrumors regular

Rawkfist

All of my back ups go to an external. This 45 GB of back ups only showed up after I loaded Lion. There was only around 31 GB on the internal to begin with.I completely agree with you about unnecessary writes on a SSD. That's why I have my Time Machine and iTunes on externals. These mysterious back ups have me now limited to 45 GB of space. I suppose time will tell if they go away on their own when I need the space. It's kinda like a fly in the room. Maybe harmless but annoying nonetheless.