Mystery computer showing up under "Shared" in Finder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikeoui, Aug 20, 2013.

1. mikeoui macrumors regular

Hello,

Tonight I discovered a mystery iMac showing up in Finder on my MBP. I use a wireless network that is shared by my apartment building. I don't know anyone with an iMac or why their computer would show up. I have all sharing disabled. Can anyone shed any light on the situation? I'm confused and worried.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Disabling all sharing FROM your Mac doesn't prevent it from searching for other Macs with sharing enabled.

Since you share wifi with your building I think you answered your own question; Someone else is using the wifi and has some sharing services enabled. That's their "problem" and has nothing to do with your settings or security.

3. mikeoui thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, ok! That makes sense and puts my mind at ease. As long as they're not messing with my computer. I'm still relatively new to Macs so I don't completely know my way around yet. Thank you! (Okay, I've had a Mac for a year, but I spent 20 years on PC's...)

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

If you're on a building LAN they may have their iMac setup for sharing. Nothing to worry about unless you have sharing enabled.