Mystery HD in my iTunes Shared folder

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jay2, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Jay2 macrumors newbie

Last night when I went into Itunes there was a basicly a hd in my shared folder with a couple hundred tunes and movies on it that I had never seen before. I actually clicked on a couple and they worked, I watch a bit of a movie. so I know I wasn't seeing things !
    My scenerio is I live and work in a hotel. The HD in the shared folder had a name "colb's mp4". Since I could, I checked the hotel registry and saw the registered name in the room across from me was Colby......
    How did he do this and how can I prevent this from happening again? My room has a hard wired connection and as far as I can tell he has a wirless connection??

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Easy fix

Go into preferences and see what your sharing preferences are.

Chances are you were set to 'find libraries' on your local network (wired/wireless Hotel service) and he just happened to have iTunes running with 'share my library on my local network'.

Just check your sharing pref's in iTunes and system preferences (sharing), and make sure your protecting your data, and turn off any 'finding' on your end if you feel you need too. Or just protect with a password.

It's kinda funny seeing who's on iTunes at work, and them not being able to see you... Head of HR is notorious for always having his library open... (I have find on, but sharing off).:cool: