Mystery Software mounted - Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bandit27, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Bandit27 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Was erasing a HDD with disk utility today, and saw that there is a "decrypted file" mounted with Flash Player as a virtual drive. Is this really flash player? why can't I find the file to delete it. I have unmounted it, and it re-mounts itself. Is this some kind of trojan?
    Thanks in advance. screenshot included.

Tyler

Attached Files:

2. BasicGreatGuy, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. chrfr macrumors 603

Flashback has been blocked by OS X for several years.
    These are sloppy leftovers from the Adobe Flash Player updater. They'll disappear on reboot, or just eject them from within Disk Utility. Nothing to worry about here.

----------

It's not a trojan. Click on the decrypytedfile.dmg in Disk Utility and you'll see a link to the path where it's located. (It'll be in /private/var/folders/random characters.) You can manually delete it or just leave it and it'll go away on its own at reboot.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Ok. The guy said it keeps remounting itself, which is why I thought it might be the trojan. It seems it has made a resurgence lately according to what i read. Apple updated their support page for it on November 2014.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

There's other malware/adware around, and lots of security updates for Flash Player recently (3 in the past 2 weeks), but this isn't malware. Just bad programming.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

7. Bandit27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved!

Thanks everyone.
    Was exactly where the path said, after I got the machine to show invisible files. Deleted it, and all is well again.
    Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Tyler