Myt dell printer has bitten the dust...now what?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macEfan, Apr 26, 2008.

1. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I have a dell 1710 laser printer that was bought a little over a year ago. Three months after the warranty expired the thing dies. I take the unit apart and realize a capacitor and resistor on the power supply board have shorted out and have been somewhat melted.

So I need a new power supply.... but where can I find one???

Does dell sell replacement parts individually? Where else could I get a replacement board? I am a little pissed off because I rarely used this printer and it suddenly dies. When it was working I thought it did a decent job...nice and fast.....do you think if I emailed dell and told them I'd install the part myself they'd send me one?

2. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I hate those Dell 1710 Printers. They feel and act cheap. I am always fixing them for some of my teachers. The school district is being cheap now and only buys the Dell printers. All of the older LaserJets still hold up better!
    Sorry I wasn't able to help with the spare parts though, but I felt that it would maybe help someone else not to make the same mistake and get a Dell printer. :apple:

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think they would, as they'd rather sell you a completely new unit.

Can you just solder on a new capacitor and resistor in place of the old ones? Sorry, I really don't know how to fix these things. :eek:

4. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Just fix it, it looks like you found the problem it should be less then 3 dollars in parts unless it was a really large capacitor. If you have it apart it shouldn't take more then 10 minutes to un-solder and solder in the new resistor and capacitor. Only problems I cans see is, 1. They are so melted you can't read the values on the burnt parts. 2. There is something else on the board that is causing the Cap to blow and resistor.

My guess is it was a defective or underrated capacitor that blew.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM