Myterious behavior on startup help and/or suggestions needed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by misswormwood, Oct 29, 2009.

1. misswormwood macrumors newbie

Strange things happened when I started my MacBook (13" unibody) today. I´m worried that my computer was hacked or something.

First of all, date and time were reset to January 1, 2001 and setting the correct date and time did not work properly (first the corresponding system preferences panel refused to accept the time the way I entered it, like e.g. I was typing "21" and the input window displayed "01" etc.; then, after a while, I got it right but after saving the changes, the displayed time still wasn´t correct :confused:).

Then I opened the system monitor to check for strange processes and indeed a number of processes were active which I´ve never seen before and which had names like "sh", "su", "cat" or "find", assigned to a user named "nobody". These processes were very active for a while, consuming 50% of CPU time and then disappeared again.

Finally, as I switched on airport I got messages like "launchd" or "mDNSresponder" would like to access the internet and if I would be so kind as to change the firewall settings accordingly. These basic OS processes never ever requested access to anything or to change my firewall settings before (I´m running my firewall in the "allow access for certain processes or programs only" mode).

I have never installed any fishy or stolen software and have never been unexpectedly prompted to enter my admin password, so I would assume that I have not unintentionally installed unwanted things on my computer. I also never had any system crashes or other strange behavior before. So I´m really at a loss to understand what´s going on here. :(

When I restarted the system I didn´t observe those strange processes anymore and after a while, even the correct time was set automatically as it should be. But an uneasy feeling remains...

Has anyone an idea/suggestion as to what might have happened here? Any helpful suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

(By the way, if this is of any interest, I´m running Mac OS 10.5.8 and have no special configurations or third party software on my system, except obvious things like VLC, handbrake or Toast).

2. three macrumors 6502a

three

Everything you mentioned with the activity monitor seemed to look normal to me, nothing really popped out at me. I would personally reinstall OS X (if possible) and see if you get the keyboard problems again.

3. misswormwood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick response. I´m definitely considering reinstalling the system.

What I´m a bit curious about, though, is that you said those "sh" or "su" processes are perfectly normal. I´m not a Unix geek and don´t know much about the details of the operating system. So I would really like to know what those processes are doing.