Spoilers “Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet” Discussion Thread (May contain spoilers)

matrix07

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Nothing to discuss now but this looks hilarious.

Can’t wait for Friday!

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
I saw only the first episode. Characters are likable enough and the setup has potential. But I found the writing to be forced and it just wasn't all that funny. Silicon Valley this is not.

I read that episode 5 is particularly good, so I will watch 4 more before making more critical judgment.

• Sad
Reactions: jbachandouris

mguzman

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
Up to now I watched the free Apple TV+ episodes provided but none of them inspired me to even do the free trial. “For All Mankind” came close but one show was not enough. Mythic Quest changed that. I watched the two free episodes and quickly signed up for the free Apple+ trial subscription so I could binge season 1. I’ll admit to being a fan of “Always Sunny in Philadelphia” so the humor in MQ was perfect for me.

I’ve downloaded the remaining “For All Mankind” and “The Morning Show“ episodes but that exhausts the current Apple TV+ series I have any interest in. So I may not continue after the free trial but wait until Foundation, Amazing Stories, Lisey’s Story, and some other series of interest are released to fully subscribe.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I burned through all 9 episodes in two days. I didn't think I would like it enough, but it worked for me.

I saw only the first episode. Characters are likable enough and the setup has potential. But I found the writing to be forced and it just wasn't all that funny. Silicon Valley this is not.

I read that episode 5 is particularly good, so I will watch 4 more before making more critical judgment.
SV had Mike Judge's great comedic timing and topical integration. Not many show creators can pull that off. All shows are different and MQ finds it's voice after a few episodes. I started getting the humor on episode 3. If you get that far, take a look at the whiteboard during the diversity committee. Funny stuff. Like you mentioned, it's definitely worth watching until episode 5.

Up to now I watched the free Apple TV+ episodes provided but none of them inspired me to even do the free trial. “For All Mankind” came close but one show was not enough. Mythic Quest changed that.
TMS is good, but give Servant a try. I was hooked on that show from the first episode.

Varking

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2010
I am through all of this season now and fell more in love with the show as it went on. Gloriously funny. Best show in my eyes on this platform since See. Watching The Morning Show now!

Kevin Rohrer

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2009
Medina, Ohio USA
The created a show for adults, when it should have been aimed at a wider audience.

Kill the juvenile language, quit making just another show that highlights homosexuality, and make the characters more outrageous.

Varking

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2010
The created a show for adults, when it should have been aimed at a wider audience.

Kill the juvenile language, quit making just another show that highlights homosexuality, and make the characters more outrageous.
The characters were super outrageous. Ion, Pootie, the old man who does the backstory were all over the top.

RamGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Just finished the entire season. It was good, but not great. It was enjoyable and it kept me watching but it wasn't often I would laugh out loud.

Are they being held back by Apple's rather extreme restrictions in-terms of explict language and sexuality? It feels like the writes really want to push things further but they couldn't making a lot of the interactions and joke's falling short.

The production quality feels solid, but a lot of the "in-game" stuff looks rather bad. Having a series that is going all-in as being the company and developers behind the most popular game ever and yet have the actual visuals and various jokes and whatnot happening from within the game looking so rough is rather awkward. Everything is pre-rendered so why doesn't it look and work better than this?

And how come the scene from Red Dead Redemption 2 does not have the original voices? Did they somehow manage to pay for the license to use the visuals but not the voices??

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
SV had Mike Judge's great comedic timing and topical integration. Not many show creators can pull that off. All shows are different and MQ finds it's voice after a few episodes. I started getting the humor on episode 3. If you get that far, take a look at the whiteboard during the diversity committee. Funny stuff. Like you mentioned, it's definitely worth watching until episode 5.
I finished episode 3. You are right. While I don't think the series is as good as SV, MQ is starting to grow on me. A large part of that has to do with characters. Poppy, Longbottom, and Jo in particular, but everyone except Pootie are very likable (thankfully, it seems Pootie is on the way out).

Varking

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2010
I finished episode 3. You are right. While I don't think the series is as good as SV, MQ is starting to grow on me. A large part of that has to do with characters. Poppy, Longbottom, and Jo in particular, but everyone except Pootie are very likable (thankfully, it seems Pootie is on the way out).
I love Poppy. My favorite character of the whole show so far.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Just watched episode 5, A Dark Quiet Death. Even at svelte 35 minute running time, it felt like a movie, with a strong Halt and Catch Fire vibe. The show runners should be applauded for having the guts to produce a standalone episode in the mid season (on the first season no less), and such a strong one at that.

I am particularly blown away by Cristin Milioti's performance, who played Bean. And it's a pleasure to see Geoffrey Owens, a hard working actor from the Cosby Show who has the integrity and dignity to take a side job at Trader Joe's to support his family.

I am guessing this episode will serve as the foundation for each of the principal character's position. Artistic integrity vs. fame and fortune. Especially for Poppy, who is at the crossroad in her career.