MyWi 4.3.4 issues when bridging wifi over usb.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ddg5006, Jul 31, 2010.

1. ddg5006 macrumors newbie

Ok so here's the setup,

Windows 7 Ult (64bit), iPhone 3gs tethered to computer over USB with 3g, (want to use WiFi as source not 3g)

i have a router connected to the internet with a desktop in another room that has no wireless connectior, so far up until this point i have been using the 3g bridged over usb perfectly fine, computer picks up internet just great. But when i switch over to tell the phone to use access point (WiFi) instead of 3g the computer won't go to any sites, but the odd thing is that i can access the router configuration page from the computer's browser but it refuses to connect to the internet. When i go to the network center at first it says all connected but after about 1 min the last step in the process where it connects from the network to the internet has and "X" and then when i try to repair it says that there are DNS problems. I feel like i have tried every possible way to resolve this issue, i triple checked all the settings and even tried to force it manually, the only other thing i could see being a problem is if somehow the router is confused by the setup and doesn't know what is going on, although the iPhone gets internet from the router just fine, please any help would be appreciated because although i know light usage wont raise any flags i don't want to push my luck and something happen with att and they try to revoke my unlimited data plan, id rather use the WiFi when I'm home and lave the 3g for emergencies.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wonder if its just an issue with that particular computer or with Mywi.
    Try doing the same thing on another computer if you can and see if it works.

3. ddg5006 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i have another computer close by but with xp, i'll try it now and post back.

I feel pretty confident that it's a problem with MyWi or some option in my phone, maybe or like i said the router needs some option changed, if it helps I'm running tomato 1.28 on a buffalo router if that makes any difference. I tried it on that xp computer and same issue, when i try to pass the signal from the WiFi it doesn't work, but when i passes through the 3g it works fine.

Can anyone confirm that theirs works?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    I dont think it would be the router since the iphone connects to it. It just has to use the wifi signal to tether to the computer.
    Might be a bug with Mywi but not 100% sure since I havent used the latest version of it yet.

5. ddg5006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone else with the program confirm that theirs works or not ? i have a 3gs running 4.0 j/b obviously.

6. ddg5006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are some screen caps of the error with 3g (left) and with wifi (right) w/ error

Attached Files:

7. SonGoku v2.5 macrumors member

Bumping this thread because I too am not getting the USB Bridge mode to use my wifi connection. Things work perfectly over 3G, but not when trying to use my wifi connection.

I'm using OSX 10.6 and an iPhone 3GS with the jailbreak from last night.

8. cdebnil macrumors regular

Tried USB bridge mode last night and it worked fine on my thinkpad T400, with Windows 7 with my iphone 4.

9. ddg5006 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes but did you try to bridge it through WiFi on usb ? as stated it works fine over 3g through usb.

10. foxman26 macrumors newbie

It is a DNS problem.

I had to sign up for this forum just to leave this response. I am new to MyWi as of less than 24 hours ago. I am partial to Macs but I have a pile of those stupid Microsoft certifications that don't seem to pay well right now. Maybe some of that knowledge will help some of you.

ddg5006's comment about being able to access his router with the USB bridged to iPhone WiFi tells me that the connection from the computer to phone to router is fine. (obviously, right?)

Initially I was able to make MyWi work over USB bridged to 3G as several of the previous posters have. No problems there because your phone is using its own 3G connection to the internet and it knows its own DNS servers, which appear to not be open. Often you can use any ISP's DNS servers if you know their IP addresses but in this case it would seem they are not.

In ddg5006's photo I can see the DNS is 172.x.x.x and I believe those are AT&T DNS server addresses. You need to change/add those DNS servers back to your home ISP's DNS servers. The fastest way you can find that out in windows is get on your computer that has the working connection to your home internet and open a command window and type in ipconfig/all The list that pops up will have a listing for one or two DNS servers, a primary and secondary, they may be listed as 1 and 2, I can't remember. Write those down.

Then go to your network connections (unless you are used to it, getting here in xp, vista, or 7 varies a bit) and right click on the connection you have for your iPhone/USB connection to your computer. Go to properties. Select TCP/IPv4 from the list and then properties again. That window will have the options for your to enter the DNS servers and keep automatic IP address. If you hit advanced in that window the following window middle tab will have a place for more DNS servers if needed. The reason you have to manually put in the DNS when using your iPhone WiFi to USB on your computer is the iPhone is only a bridge, a link, between your router and computer so it is too stupid in this case to help with DNS info (Yes, I do know iPhone has its own wifi DNS settings, they are irrelevant in this case) Assuming you get the correct DNS server IP address in where they go your internet should now work with the iPhone WiFi to USB bridge settings in MyWi or 3G. Keep in mind switching between the two may leave your computer thinking a minute to change between services.

To make it work on your Mac is probably less painful on 10.5.8. Connect to your home internet however you would not using your iPhone and go to System Preferences and then Network, click whichever network adapter is green and connected to your internet. Click advanced, then DNS on the next screen. Write those IP addresses down. Then under the connection that shows up in Network when your iPhone is plugged in with MyWi running (probably something like en02) just transfer those DNS IP addresses to the DNS area under advanced and you should be go to go. I didn't have any problems switching between iPhone on WiFi or 3g after my ISPs DNS were entered. That is only under 10.5.8. Now, under 10.6.4 it might be a bit of a pain because your MyWi iphone connection shows up in Network as iPhone USB, at least thats how it did on my 10.6.4 Mac. And it doesn't give you any options for advanced so you can't change the DNS servers. This has been making me angry for hours and let me to finding this forum. I have had some luck getting the iPhone WiFi to USB working on 10.6.4 using the "Assist me..." button to bring up network assistant as well as using network diagnostics but its finicky at best. I am working on figuring out how to make it let you change DNS for this particular setup.

Keep in mind, everybody, these things worked for me, they are my opinion, they may not work for you. If you break your computer of course you know anything you did at your own risk anyway.

Hope this helps somebody.

11. jwilson25 macrumors regular

jwilson25

foxman26, couldn't you also use your router's IP for the DNS address as well? this is what I do for all my static connections @ home. I just give them "192.168.1.1" for DNS and it all works.

12. foxman26 macrumors newbie

Yes, certainly. Most home routers today are far more than "routers" they are often more of a switch/hub/gateway/DHCP server/router combo unit. So yes, if you know your router's IP address typically you can send DNS requests to it and it will have your ISP's true DNS IP address stored. Most home routers use 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x. Really, there are multiple solutions to this problem. As long as the correct DNS info gets put in any number of places the MyWi iPhone WiFi to USB should work just fine.

I noticed, and this is probably just me, that when I have opened MyWi on my phone that it causes the WiFi part of my Settings to not function. It freezes when I try to open it and it eventually crashes Settings completely. One would think that using the DNS settings in WiFi settings on the iPhone would help this problem as well but maybe not because the computer doesn't know to send DNS requests to the iPhone instead of to the router through the iPhone bridge.

13. happy2000hk macrumors newbie

Mine freezes too everytime I'm done using Mywi. Have to reboot to get wifi settings working again. Started happening after I updated mobile substrate in cydia today. I'm no expert but just pointing out what happened to my phone.

14. ddg5006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I happens to me too, it sucks, it doesn't happen everyhing but often enough, meh, I guess that's the price you pay for the ability to thether so easily, hopefully it is something they can patch, as far as the update causing it, I highly doubt it as it started happening the day I installed it, and that was a few weeks ago

15. ddg5006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, wow, that was an awesome post, thanks for the tip, I shall try that when I get home later on today, oh man I hope this works, I will deff post back on if it works or not. I knew someone would have the useless knowledge laying around somewhere in their brain and I'm glad you did. Thanks again and welcome, I'm glad you felt so compeled to answer that you signed up, sounds like my style. I'll let you know the results.

16. ddg5006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Success !!!

Ok, so foxman26, you are the man! thanks allot for your input and everyone else too, this definitely solved the issue,entering my routers default gateway did the trick, bridged over wifi is now in full effect. thanks again to everyone who posted all your input was much appreciated.

17. awdods macrumors newbie

DNS made it look better but no go.

I entered the DNS. Now the connection icon in my system tray states I have internet access but it's still not working. When I run a tracert it doesn't get pass my router. I'm running windows 7. Any more suggestions?

Correction, it doesn't get past the iPhone on a tracert. However, I can ping and login to my router while bridged and using wifi.

Nevermind. Re-installs of mywi and rock didn't work. I restored the phone, jailbroke again, installed rock and mywi, set DNS to Google DNS, and it's working.

18. foxman26 macrumors newbie

Yeah, DNS is..... everything and nothing

Some DNS servers are open, meaning you can use that DNS server with anything trying to resolve host names on the internet, and some DNS servers are totally closed and will only respond to DNS requests from specific ip addresses. (such as att 3g DNS, closed as far as I can tell) At some point I learned a list of DNS servers that would work anywhere and were open, for instance, sometimes when your "internet is down" its not your ISP's actual connection to the internet that is down, its your ISP's DNS servers that are down and if you were to enter some functioning DNS server IP address in, your internet might work again.

Anyway, I am thankful for everybody's input and glad a bit of my help could be a bit useful. Thanks ddg5006 for putting up your question because I never ask for help in forums, I always just assume I can find it elsewhere, you may be solely responsible for my ridiculously long winded responses in forums from this time forward.