Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickkyJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
If i use the 3G unrestrictor and tether at the same time will my carrier know i am tethering? i just dont want to get hit with an overage charge or lose my unlimited data

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If i use the 3G unrestrictor and tether at the same time will my carrier know i am tethering? i just dont want to get hit with an overage charge or lose my unlimited data

Its a risk.
With AT&T they have been detecting customers unofficially tethering with all different hacks used including MyWi, TetherMe and many others.
I didnt hear anything for other carriers but use at your own risk.
If you abuse it, they could notice.

NickkyJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
should i use the 3g thing? I mean i do have a limited amount but will they notice

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
should i use the 3g thing? I mean i do have a limited amount but will they notice

The 3Gunrestrictor has nothing to do with it.
Since you have a specific amount of data package per month there is no way to mask that with 3G unrestrictor or anything and use unlimited data for example. As soon as you use any carrier data they will know and their billing system measures it and bills you accordingly.
Find out and learn what 3Gunrestrictor does first.

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
All 3GU does is make apps think they're on Wifi so you can use its functions. For instance, using it on native YouTube.app gives you higher quality video. Using it in Phone.app allows you to FaceTime over 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.