General MyWi 5S ATT Unlimited to iPad detectable?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by melymel96, Feb 4, 2014.

1. melymel96 macrumors member

Before anyone gets upset I did do a search and i can't seem to find a solid answer which is why I'm posting.

I have a 5S I'm about jailbreak and install MyWi. I have an iPad Air that will be used to tether off the 5S. I have an ATT unlimited data plan. From what I understand the way ATT detects tethered devices is by the device visiting non mobile websites frequently. If I purely use my iPad as the connecting device what are the chances of ATT finding me?

Thanks for any input.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no solid answer.
    Maybe, maybe not.
    It's a chance you decide to take.

3. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Sure, they could find out. Last time I checked Mywi utilizes some aspects of apples built in tethering service. (Which reports to Apple/Carrier)

Regardless of how they'd find out, the worst they'll do is void your contract based on overall data usage. That or force you to a tiered plan, which you'll likely be forced onto shortly anyways.

4. bobright macrumors 601

Ah so this is a red flag here and it's probably best to stay away from this app? What do you recommend instead?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

One of the reasons I jailbreak and they've never bothered me about it.

The again I don't use much data domestically, so it's possible they have no way to check when I'm abroad.

6. bobright macrumors 601

Who is your provider and do you use MyWi?

7. dc52nv macrumors member

I've been using MyWi to tether to my laptop when I occasionally need it while traveling since my iPhone 3G. Also used it on my 4, 4S and now using it on my 5S. I don't go crazy on it like watch Netflix or YouTube videos while tethered however. I mainly use it for web surfing and emailing. My wife also uses it for her iPad and laptop. I have never received an email or letter from AT&T telling me to stop (knock on wood). I have an unlimited plan and use about 6GB of data every month with only about 1GB from tethering. Best $20 I've ever spent.