MyWi and airplane mode

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kevrhof, May 25, 2011.

1. kevrhof macrumors newbie

Ok so I was the other day and it was my first experience with mywi and airplane mode. however, on my flight, I was able to make my iphone a hotspot while inflight and connected to gogo, connect my netbook to it, and connect my blackberry to the mywi.

So my question is, how the F did I do that? I was not using usb tether. I had all 3 devices connected. I didn't think much of it cause it was my first time using it inflight, the only difference is that I was jailbroken on the last firmware and since then i have updated it, could that be the culprit? its not so much that im annoyed that I can't connect all 3 devices using the mywi, its the fact i can't figure out how i did it..plus im on a 5 hour flight and bored. :rolleyes:

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I haven't played with MyWi at all but I know that if you have Airplane Mode on you can switch WiFi on and it will work but leave cellular data off so it is likely something similar.

3. kevrhof thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess i should have clarified.

currently when i turn wifi tethering on with mywi, it activates the wifi setting on the iphone and sets it to connect to network 'mywi' i'm guessing thats how it broadcasts the wifi network, however, if you change what wifi network youre connected to, say gogoinflight, then it disables mywi.

what i was able to do a couple weeks ago (only difference was it was under the old firmware and i used a different method to jailbreak) was that I was able to connect to gogoinflight wifi on my iphone while in airplane mode but also use mywi to connect my netbook and other cellphone wirelessly to my iphone

4. kaifs macrumors member

that is really odd, because airplaine mode, by default, should turn OFF ALL RADIOS. I am wondering if MyWi overrides that setting... well trying to duplicate - after enabling wifi while in airplane, lunched mywi, it took me through cycling for whatever reason, but now is holding up and I can tether other devices off of my mywi iphone which is connected to a home wifi... So it works, as strange as it is... Good to know :), as my wife and I have a trip coming up, nice to have our iDevices functioning for 17hours on the planes..