MyWi and FaceTime

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jsquared, Jun 29, 2010.

1. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I used FaceTime usinging my buddy's MyWi as the WiFi connection.....

It's pretty terrible...anyone else try this? It lags tremendously and even the audio cuts in and out.

I was really looking forward to Jailbraking and using this but oh well....

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Maybe now you understand why it's WiFi only for the time being. It's not calibrated to perform over 3G.

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I used FaceTime over MyWi on my jailbroken iPad 3G with unlimited data and it worked rather well in different locations - at the beach in NJ, walking downtown NYC, and various spots in between. Only once did the video get blocky like it downsampled due to low bandwidth. Other than that, it was almost as clear and fluid as Wi-Fi.

4. jsquared thread starter macrumors 6502

jsquared

I understand why, I was just expressing my experience with it. I knew it wouldn't work like it does on WiFi, just experimenting. This is also why it sux to send a video mms because the quality drops off tremendously...

5. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

I used it and worked great without any lag.
    I'm in Dallas fort worth area

6. AlxRymnd914 macrumors member

Things might run smoother when it is the iPhone 4 that is jailbroken. Remember that the iPhone 4 has a chip that allows for greater upload speeds. So that would drastically help with video conferencing.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Also your connection, signal and 3G network congestion played a role into that.
    Not all times will be the same.
    Sometimes thru speedtest on my i4 I get 2.8mb down and 1.2mb up and other times not even a third of that.