General Mywi (and other hotspot/tethering apps) efficiency vs lte hotspot pucks

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by philster9, Oct 26, 2013.

1. philster9 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I was curious about the efficiency of jailbroken hotspot apps such as mywi and tetherme versus the actual LTE speeds. I am currently deciding between The following as I have an unlimited grandfathered Verizon data plan and an iPhone 5s:

Await a jailbreak for iOS 7 and purchase mywi or other tethering/hotspot apps
    Purchasing an LTE iPad and swapping the Verizon Sim card between the two when Internet is desired for iPad while not at home.
    Getting a Verizon mobile hotspot LTE device and popping the iPhone 5s SIM into that for data use while not at home.

Obviously the first is preferable for the ability to keep the iPhone connected to it's phoneline while still providing other devices Internet connection, however I am unsure of the efficiency and data use when using The tethering/hotspot apps, whether jailbroken or native . Does the LTE speed transfer over well when using these apps or is it less efficient due to having to run between an app before reaching another device?

Essentially I want to know if it is relatively consistent between the actual LTE speeds such as when using the iPhone alone versus connecting another device to it.

I am likely not explaining this well. An example being if my LTE download rate while at home on the iPhone through speed test says 22 down and 18 up, would connecting my iPad through mywi show similar numbers, lets say 90% efficient? Or would it be significantly less such as 10 down and 8 up?

I would rather lose phone line access and plug the Sim card into either the iPad or a LTE hotspot device then have sub optimal LTE speeds using a jailbroken hotspot app. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this. Thanks much in advance.

Also, while attempting to research this I came across an individual who stated that LTE iPads have native hotspotting without having to pay extra through whichever carrier. Is this true? Meaning if I was to remove my iPhone unlimited data SiM card and place it in an LTE iPad would I then be able to hotspot from the iPad without a jailbreak hotspot app? Thanks again. Much appreciated.

2. philster9 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I have been using my iPhone 5 with MyWi and I get 40 download 36 up on my macbook pro.

4. philster9 thread starter macrumors newbie

That decides it for me then. At home I get 22 down and 16--18 up so if I can stay above 20 down it beats my home internet but a couple points.

5. bobright macrumors 601

Who is your provider any notices? Also does MyWi work with the built in hotspot feat in iOS7?