MyWi and PS3

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by war eagle, Jan 26, 2011.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have any detailed instructions on how I can use my PS3 to connect to my iPhones internet? I just wanna use my TV for occasional netflix movies and I needed to cut costs and had to let go of my television and internet service.

Rarely watched TV, and the little I use the internet I could use my unlimited data to just watch netflix. Thanks guys.

2. barneyevo macrumors member

as you stated in your topic title, load mywi onto your iphone and activate it.
    PS3 is wireless capable so connect to your phone's wifi hotspot and do what you wish.

3. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cutting costs by disconnecting your internet and relying on a cellphone?
    Not a good idea IMO.
    For occasional tethering I'd say yes but to try to do online gaming with the PS3, download netfix movies and other stuff that a home connection will do its a little too much IMO.

5. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to be gaming and if I can watch Netflix movies over my iPad with a 3G connection what's the difference if it's over the ps3? Just different means. I don't game online it would mostly be for roster updates.

Im in college I have other things I need to be spending money on than TV and Internet that's almost 200 dollars a month and the internet is out almost everyday. With no other choice I'm turning to my cell phone and pocketing my cash for expenses like car maintenance.

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

the only way you'll get mywi to power your ps3 connection is connecting it to a laptop and then sharing the connection over the laptop's ethernet port.

this would be very easy with a macbook, not sure about windows.

7. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Unless you can share the network from your notebook, as suggested by tempusfugit, then no.
    If the hotspot option ever gets hacked, that might do the trick; however, no one knows until it comes out.

9. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe if I were actually gaming with it... using it to download the latest roster updates from Madden, NBA 2k not so much.

And to watch netflix.. whats the difference btw watching Netflix on my iPad thru myWi than thru my PS3 on my MyWi?

10. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Get a non-smart phone and keep your internet.

11. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not that I can't pay for it, but I don't want to keep paying for it. It hardly ever even works and when it does I goto MacRumors, twitter, and facebook. That's all my internet consists of and Netflix. I watch an episode of law and order sometimes when I eat dinner. Other than that I dont use it much.

Why pay all that money for something I can just use my cell phones internet to do? Half the time I dont even tweet or use facebook from my laptop anyway and if i'm using the internet extensively i'm somewhere on campus where we have free wi-fi. No need.

Now, if you aren't helping with the original subject don't even bother posting. I don't want/need your opinions on what to do about keeping my internet. I'm not being rude but I'm just trying to do something simple and i've explained it numerous times throughout the thread I AM NOT TRYING TO GAME ONLINE by doing this. This is for the OCCASIONAL netflix viewing during dinner and roster updates (5-10 mbs) for my sports titles.

Thank you.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The PS3 will download alot bigger files than the iPad or iPhone and it will take forever.

13. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

+1. The PS3 Netflix streams a much higher resolution than the iPad/iPhone Netflix streaming.

14. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. I got it figured out and watched an episode of law and order last night and it worked just fine. I actually just ran an Ethernet cord from my laptop to the ps3 and shared the connection.

15. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Wow, that's pretty cool. So your laptop was connected to MyWi and you shared the connection with the ethernet cord?

16. CubusX macrumors 6502

Really?

The reason why AT&T put a cap on their data.

17. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Man reading through this tread and some of the responses by members is just maddening. Why post?

Just connect the phone via mywi to a laptop. Then bridge the connection via ethernet to the PS3

And you can play online this way if you get decent signal. I do it all the time with the Xbox 360 as well. Play Black Ops Halo Reach. No problems.

In fact, wifi is so saturated in my neighborhood sometimes I just hook the phone up and have a better gaming experience using 3G

18. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I don't think you mean the wifi is saturated but probably traffic to your local switch. At any rate, AT&T 3G does, at least in my area (pretty densely populated) do things like youtube without as much time stalled for buffering. It is, in some cases, preferable to my 12 mbit comcast connection.

I have a server with a 100mbit port in a datacenter in chicago that I VPN into pretty regularly because it has so much better bandwidth to most sites that they actually load faster when I use the server as a proxy of sorts.

To people saying that its crazy to use 3G for gaming, I usually ping around 60-80ms and have plenty of 3G speed to do it. Like someone else said, Halo Reach and Call of Duty work well over 3G. You'd be surprised. Don't be fooled by the (constantly) inflated pings you get with things like speedtest.net on the iPhone, the response times are usually lower than you think.

19. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got a text from AT&T today about 1000 free roll over minutes just had to call a number... called the number and was told that AT&T U-Verse was being offered in my area frickin finally! Needless to say I signed up in a jiffy. 6 meg for 34 bucks a month and it will probably actually work!!!

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The button line is that the whole argument is a bit of pointless since the PS3 does not support Ad-hoc connection that is how MyWi currently work. So until the Driver for the iPhone WiFi Chip are update to support real routing there is nothing you can do.

I got a naked DSL at home from AT&T for $19.99 a month, can't beat that. I got my Hackintosh hooked to the TV and I do Hulu, Netflix, Boxee and pretty much anything else, haven;t missed cable one bit =)

21. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got it to work but I've got U-Verse now, but in case anyone else wants to know how I did it.

I ran MyWi, turned on internet sharing on my mac, plugged my router into the Mac and just connected the PS3 through that.

Streamed netflix movies for a couple days and had awesome quality, no skips or anything. Used about 6 gigs of data in 4-5 days. Never tried to get online with it, but I don't know how great it would be. Took me like 40 minutes to download the latest update to the firmware.

22. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

If you are talking about PS3 firmware version 3.56, I downloaded that on my iPad in about 25 minutes on the 3G network. If that's as fast as U-verse is, I might just save my money. Of course, that's whenever it becomes available in my neck of the woods.

23. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

Mywi updated, and now has a new ui, and now shows gaming consoles under the wifi hotspot tab and says that with iOS 4.3 you'll be able to connect to any device, so I'd say they've worked out infrastructure mode. We just gotta wait until 4.3 is released and jailbroken.

24. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea man U-Verse sucks. I got the supposed 6 meg package and I really think my 3G was just as fast if not faster. I might get rid of it. Waste of money to just have two data packages really.

MyWi handles Netflix just as welll as U-Verse.