Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I've had MyWi for about 8 or 9 months on AT&T with an unlimited data plan. I've never had any issues in the past, but I tended to use it more sparingly. My typical data usage for most months is 500MB-1GB per month, but this billing cycle I'm fairly certain that I'll easily break 2GB through a bit more use of MyWi and Netflix viewing. Does anyone know of any precedent for AT&T "catching" anyone using MyWi or similar tethering hacks, or am I totally safe since I'm on an unlimited plan?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I wouldn't worry about it, especially at that limited usage. I've seen posts of people sucking down a 3-5 Blurays a DAY and not having an issue.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Thanks, I work offsite for my job a lot, and I've needed to use it more and more at work. I tend to let it run for about 8 hours every day, but it's mostly used for light web browsing, email, etc.

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
Search

There are more then a few threads on this already. A few even get somewhat in depth. Search next time. With that rant out of the way you should be fine. Although make sure you have it secured to keep lurkers from using/stealing your wifi. You little use should be no prob but you don't want others using it and running up your data usage.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
There are more then a few threads on this already. A few even get somewhat in depth. Search next time. With that rant out of the way you should be fine. Although make sure you have it secured to keep lurkers from using/stealing your wifi. You little use should be no prob but you don't want others using it and running up your data usage.

I have searched, and read some of those threads when I first got MyWi, but I never saw much in the way of definitive answers. Additionally, companies like AT&T are constantly re-evaluating their polices, so I felt that it was fair to warrant a NEW discussion on this, since I hadn't seen it in a while. So you can keep your rant.

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I have searched, and read some of those threads when I first got MyWi, but I never saw much in the way of definitive answers. Additionally, companies like AT&T are constantly re-evaluating their polices, so I felt that it was fair to warrant a NEW discussion on this, since I hadn't seen it in a while. So you can keep your rant.
I think the only way you're going to get "definitive" answer is to call AT&T and ask. Anything else is just conjecture.

We had some guy last week say he uses 80 gigs of data a day (or some other outrageous number) through MyWi and he hasn't had a problem. Also last week was another guy who hooked up his PS3 through his iPhone's 3G connection and made that work. I'm sure you saw these threads during your search.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I have searched, and read some of those threads when I first got MyWi, but I never saw much in the way of definitive answers.
Then you didn't read the threads carefully.

1.The definitive answer is using MyWi, PDAnet or the Comm Center hack to tether, without the $20/month tethering option, violates the Terms and Conditions of your data plan, any data plan, 200 mb, 2 gb or a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

2. Adding the $20/month tethering option to your account results in you losing the unlimited data plan, forcing you to pick the 200 mb or 2 gig plan.

3. No one on MR has admitted to being 'caught' tethering.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I knew it was a TOS violation, I was just trying to find out if any MR member had ever reported being caught, which I couldn't find for sure in my searches, so I thought I'd ask if anyone had a better idea about it. Apparently some people are in a very cranky mood today.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Apparently some people are in a very cranky mood today.

Yeah, you are.

Do you honestly think if someone got hammered by ATT for excessive downloading it wouldn't be major news on MR, most likely a front page news article here and every other discussion forum dealing with ATT?

"Wow, I just got a $5,000 bill from ATT for MyWi tethering but instead of posting this news on MR, I will wait for someone to ask if anyone has been "caught" then reply in their thread."

You got your panties in a twist after andrewsd replied, who was very polite, but instead of being satisfied that you got your question answered, you got a 'crankly' attitude and proceed to act the victim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.