MyWi Battery Strain?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by carebearsx3, May 15, 2010.

1. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

Long, long ago, there was a risky work-around to tether iPhones to computers, but there was talk that battery levels were being depleted way too quickly (~an hour on full charge). Probably because 3G and WiFi were on at the same time, and used extensively.

Is MyWi any better? Battery draining too fast?
    And if any experience with Android, what about the battery drain on that?

Leave a comment. =D

2. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

MyWi will accelerate your battery drainage. But it's a good tradeoff for this kind of functionality. IMHO

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

FYI, if you used only 3G or wifi (and had the other on) and surfed the whole time, you’d get 5 hours of batter life. So, whatever happened with this “work-around” was nothing to do with that. MyWi will run your battery down quicker, but nothing like one hour. You’d probably only get 4 hours, instead of the 5. At least 3 though.

4. carebearsx3 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, the 3G was being used a lot! (I believe I was downloading a movie). But usually, I got a full day of use on a single charge. Using MyWi, how long would I get?

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Well if you left MyWi on the whole time without being plugged in not much.

6. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I use MyWi to connect my netbook; I also share my connection with 2 other netbooks during class since we don't get Wi-Fi in that specific area :)mad:). During the ~2 hour class, MyWi uses about 50% of the battery.

It's not that bad considering I go home right after class and can charge it up, but I wouldn't recommend constantly using it throughout the day if you don't have a charger nearby.

7. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Sorry for the potential ignorance, but if your tethering with MyWi cant you just use a USB cable to charge it while using it? If your using it as a wireless point I suppose thats one thing, but you should still have a usb port nearbye.

8. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I don't see why not, then again, I haven't used it.

9. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Yes you can.

10. D3lta macrumors 6502a

That's a possibility, but a netbook's battery blows, so using it to charge probably isn't too smart. I guess you could bring a charger, but if you don't sit next to a socket, you're outta luck...

11. claygill macrumors newbie

Get a Mophie. With it my iPhone battery life is as good as the iPad even running MyWi.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You can always connect to a charger either by direct connect to a wall outlet or a computer. Just be aware that once the phone gets hot, usually under an hour, the charging circuit will shut off to protect itself and the battery will begin draining anyways.

This happens on all three of my iPhone models so it's normal behavior. Even happens after using my XM radio app after so long.

13. Khris macrumors newbie

Yup, once your phone gets too hot, even having it plugged in will do no good. I almost think MiWi has the potential to run your battery down faster than it can be charged!!

Great product, but piss poor implementation unfortunately.