Mywi battery use - what's the issue?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by whistler222, Aug 3, 2010.

1. whistler222 macrumors 6502

I'm very new to jailbreaking, so please bear with me.

My question is, people have said - mywi (or tethering) KILLS battery.
    ok..

but why is this an issue?
    supposedly if you tether, you're giving wifi to your laptop right?
    wouldn't your laptop be plugged into an outlet?
    couldn't you plug your phone to your computer thus charging it?

I'm not sure why people are concerned with battery drain for tethering? unless it's for something like the ipad?

Please enlighten? thanks!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

MyWi offers wifi tethering, where the iPhone creates a wifi network and allows tethering through that. This means that it is not connected to the laptop and thus it kills the battery life.

3. shakesfist macrumors newbie

The reason is that not only is the phone pulling in 3G service, it is also broadcasting out Wifi. It has to , in esance, process 2 independant data streams. Thus, it takes more CPU and in turn kills the battery faster. Most people are using it on the go, so they do not have the ability to plug it in. Especially if they are using their iPads. Since it has no USB in.

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

but he's stating if your usng your laptop why not just us the usb mode hence the charging/tethering

5. whistler222 thread starter macrumors 6502

I get it.. u can use USB mode when tethering to a macbook.. or a regular mode when using with an ipad?

follow up: if you're tethering to an ipad, you COULD plug it into a wall/car charger right? (assuming it's available, i know it's not always possible).

Thanks!

6. futbalguy macrumors 6502

You can charge while tethering. You can use usb mode or you can use wifi and still charge with your laptop. And like others have said, the battery drains fast when both wifi and 3g are being used at the same time.

7. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Or tether while the phone is plugged in to a wall charger.

8. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

When I tethered with MyWi on my 3gS, it used so much energy that even if the phone was plugged into power it would still be discharging. Not sure about the iPhone 4 yet.