MyWi Bluetooth question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NoStopN, Jan 7, 2011.

1. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

This may be a dumb question but, mywi 4.0 had an update a couple of days ago that added Bluetooth tethering. Here's the dumb question: Is this addition meant for tethering the iPhone to the iPad? Or is this meant for something else. If not for iPhone/iPad tethering, what is it for (just curious)? If it is meant for iPhone/iPad tethering, how in the hell do you set it up?

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I haven't tried bluetooth tethering to the ipad from the iPhone, but most of the time bluetooth tethering is for bluetooth capable computers to connect.

3. NoStopN thread starter macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I haven't been shopping for a laptop in a while, but I didn't know that any of them could connect to the Internet with Bluetooth. I thought that wifi was a standard method for any connected device.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Some laptops and other devices can use bluetooth to connect and share Internet. The iPad cannot. You can only use wifi tethering.

5. NoStopN thread starter macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Damn. I guess I'll just have to continue to use the wifi option. :p

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

A jailbroken iPad using iTether can connect via Bluetooth tethering; I've been doing it since late summer for trips with a wifi only iPad.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, I didnt know that.
    Has to be a JB ipad right?
    What did you install from Cydia to have it recognize and connect to bluetooth?

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I think it's IBluever.. or maybe that's the other way around...

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Yep, has to be JB; I'm running iTether from Cydia on the iPad ($5, I think) and TetherMe ($2) on the iPhone to make it all work. iTether was a bit buggy when it was first released, but it's been working fairly well the last two months or so. (I've left the iPad on 3.2.1, not updated yet.) I only use it for travel where I won't have wifi, or things like our recent cable outage, but I know others have said they use it daily without problems.

BT still sucks battery life from the phone, but it's supposedly a more secure connection than going wifi/WEP. You can only connect one device at a time though.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice.
    What one sucks more battery would you say? Bluetooth or wifi tethering?

11. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

WiFi, hands down, even set at 30%. When my iPad was jailbroken, I used the iTether/TetherMe combination. I had the iPhone4 plugged into my laptop USB port at work and the iPad running just on the battery. The iPhone would fully charge and stay at 100% all day, regardless of how much I used the iPad. The iPad percent charge dropped during the day, but nothing major, maybe 15 - 20%.

With WiFi, the iPad drops 20 - 25% and the iPhone, by and large, stays at whatever charge percent it was at when I plugged it in.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thanks.
    So USB tethering would probably be the least battery hog. Then Bluetooth and worst wifi.