Carrier mywi IOS 7 at&t tethering detection 2014

cbielich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Anyone recently get any notifications from att for using mywi with IOS7?

ScootPatoot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2008
A little off topic as I am using TetherMe. I have AT&T unlimited and though I haven't received any notices I am already past the 5 GB limit with 17 days left in my billing cycle and they are throttling the hell out of me.

I didn't think I was using it too much but I guess it adds up quite quickly.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Is there a way you can tell that they are throttling your data speeds? Other than the fact that it "feels" slow?

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Is there a way you can tell that they are throttling your data speeds? Other than the fact that it "feels" slow?
You can install the hacked carrier file from iostweaks.com

Run a speed test before and after to determine if your carrier is capping you

ScootPatoot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2008
You can install the hacked carrier file from iostweaks.com

Run a speed test before and after to determine if your carrier is capping you
What does a hacked carrier file do for you? Does it actually prevent throttling? Forgive my ignorance, just unfamiliar with this.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I haven't used TetherMe since 2011-2012 on my 4S. They sent me a warning back then with my unlimited plan.

How long will that warning stay on record?

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I use private internet access. They keep zero logs and shared IPs, so nearly impossible to track if you want privacy etc. 6.95 a month.
For a little more I could just pay for proper tethering without all the trouble. But that's just me.

robotphood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I haven't used TetherMe since 2011-2012 on my 4S. They sent me a warning back then with my unlimited plan.

How long will that warning stay on record?
I'm guessing forever. I got one years ago too. I haven't heard of anyone that got a warning pushing it.

You could try using a VPN on your remote devices to mask the traffic.
Would a VPN get around their detection? I already pay for a VPN. Tethering would be useful in some cases.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
yes its called mywi 7. working great.
I installed it and it removed all of my folder organization. I had everything organized into nice clean folders and when I installed MyWi, it scattered all my icons so now I have to reorganize everything back into folders. Since this new JB came out this has happened a couple times. :-(

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I installed it and it removed all of my folder organization. I had everything organized into nice clean folders and when I installed MyWi, it scattered all my icons so now I have to reorganize everything back into folders. Since this new JB came out this has happened a couple times. :-(
Weird, that never happened to me when installed MyWi or any times I updated it.
Maybe another package is conflicting and causing it?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Do you have icon support installed? Any tweak that alters the springboard layout?
I have HomeScreen Designer so I can have 5 columns of 5 icons, and i have Bigify installed so I can shrink down the size of the icons so they look better.

Is there a better solution?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I have HomeScreen Designer so I can have 5 columns of 5 icons, and i have Bigify installed so I can shrink down the size of the icons so they look better.

Is there a better solution?
Is iconsupport installed? And are you on one of the 7.1 betas?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Is iconsupport installed? And are you on one of the 7.1 betas?
I think iconsupport is installed, how can i tell? I feel like I've seen iconsupport popups, but not sure, It's not listed in installed in cydia nor do i even see iconsupport in any of the cydia repos.

No, I'm on 7.0.4