MyWi & iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OMGbrandon, Mar 16, 2011.

1. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

So how's MyWi & the iPad 2 holding up with the 'ondemand' feature?
    Just curious cause I was looking to get a WiFi iPad 2 and use the hell out of this feature!
    Any info would be appreciated.

2. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

Both the iPhone and the iPad need to be jailbroken and both need the ondemand app to be installed as well.

3. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Really? The iPad needs to be jailbroken too?

I know if you just use regular MyWi without the OnDemand feature, the iPad does not need to be jailbroken, it connects to the iPhone like to any other wireless router.

4. infam0uz macrumors regular

infam0uz

Im using mywi on my iphone (JB) to tether my ipad2 and it works fine without having the ipad to be jailbroken.. unless im missing a feature.

5. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

the on demand feature requires the iPad be jb'd. If you aren't using that feature, then only the iPhone needs to be jb of course to install the mywi app.

6. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

no ipad does not need to be jailbroken only the iphone. do you even have the app???

7. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

You're probably using wifi feature in mywi to tether. The onDemand feature is different.

8. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

dude, I have the app. You didn't read - I said in order to use the ondemand feature you have to have both ipad and iphone jb at minimum.

9. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Since the iPad 2 can't be jail broken, yet, the only way to tether with MyWi is to create an access point every time.

At least that's what I did.

10. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

Ok, here it is to be absolutely clear:

To use onDemand feature of mywi, you must have TWO jailbroken devices: an iphone and an iPad (if ipad is the tethered device).

Both must have the mywi app installed.
    Both must have the $5 upgrade to get onDemand.

That's it. After you do this, you will have it. It uses bluetooth the last time I checked. Saves battery.

If you don't use ondemand feature of mywi, simply just have your jailbroken iphone and mywi installed - turn on WIFI icon. Connect to your access point via iPad 1 or 2 from the wifi menu in the settings.

11. OMGbrandon thread starter macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Does anyone know how the 'ondemand' feature worked on iPad 1?
    With the whole connect as you need it?

12. OMGbrandon thread starter macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

13. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Short:

OnDemand enables WiFi broadcasting when the client (the device that wants to steal ur WiFis) is in use and is awake but has no access to any other open or known wireless hotspots.

Long:

MyWi as we all know is an app that broadcasts a 3G signal as a WiFi hotspot.

The app has 2 main features:

1. WiFi Hotspot
    2. Bluetooth 'OnDemand'

The WiFi feature simply broadcasts a 3G signal, it is compatible with any device that can scan for a wireless connection, no jailbreak is needed for any other device except for the one that MyWi is installed on.

The OnDemand feature is intelligently set up where both devices need to have MyWi installed and OnDemand enabled. There are 2 positions of this feature. the device that is broadcasting and giving away the 3G signal is considered the Host, the device that is using another devices signal is the Client. OnDemand intelligently enables internet tethering via Bluetooth whenever the client device is awake and there are no known or free wireless hotspots available. Whenever the client device is locked or turned off, OnDemand is disabled on the Host device to save battery.

14. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

so here is how mine works just fine WITHOUT ONDEMAND
    1. i launch MyWi 40 on my JB IP4.
    2. I go into setting on my non-jailbroken ipad 2 in the network setting and connect to my MyWi network

I begin surfing the web. I suspect ONDEMAND circumvents step 1 and 2...big deal. I can surf on my JB IP4 with the unlimited data plan to my hearts content.

When I am don surfing the web, I shut down MyWi.

15. rkahl macrumors 65816

So I need to jailbreak my MacBook air if I went to use myfi on my unlimited iPad data plan for on demand?

16. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

n00bz-r-cute.

17. bossxii macrumors 68000

MyWi works fine with the iPad 2 using the Hotspot feature. However the "On Demand" requires both iDevices to be JB and have MyWi installed. It then turns Bluetooth ON and OFF "on demand" with no user interaction.

Regular MyWi operation means you open the app, turn on wifi or BT, connect and go.. that is normal.

On Demand.. you setup once, forget it similar to your BT in your car, when both devices are near and it see's the need to connect for data it does.

18. JorgeG macrumors newbie

I've never really used the OnDemand feature. I'm never that far from a charger or gone long enough to kill the battery. Although, it works great for those who are using it for long periods of time with no other Internet access, for the average user, it's not really needed.

19. LoveApple123 macrumors newbie

Mywi and ipad2

Hi
    I recently jail broke my iPhone 4 (4.2.1) and though mywi worked fine with ipad1 (not on4.3) my iPad2 (4.3) was not able to find an Internet connection and connect properly . Anyone who has this working can they tell me what version of mywi they used? Thanks very much

20. speed2 macrumors newbie

same issue

Hi,

I am also experiencing the same issue with MiWi.
    my iPad2 see the WIFI network, however is not connecting (not able to surf)

Any help would be really appreciated.

what is I update my iPhone 4 to iOs 4.3.1? (currently my iPhone is JB 4.2.1)
    Then I can connect directly using 4.3.1 WIFI network?