MyWi & iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by kernyboy, Apr 4, 2010.

1. kernyboy macrumors member

WONDERFUL! I love it I LOVE it! Just set this up on my iPhone 3g (i'm almost end of contract so why not JB i figure) and, this works REALLY well! just make sure you set up a WEP password ;)

2. msduncan macrumors 6502

It is indeed wonderful. Surfed on iPad while a passenger in a car today. Awesomeness.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

This has been working amazingly for me. People said it was a battery hog, it's not that bad on my 3GS. And if I have it plugged in, the battery charges up. So I don't know what that was about.

It turns out 64GB WiFi was the right solution for me.

I'm just a slave to jailbreaking my iPhone now. That's all.

4. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

While last time I jailbroke my iphone is didn't work well and I had to restore it, I'm extremely tempted to jailbreak again just for this app. There's alot of possibilities for it I think, and I love having to only have one data plan to buy.

One cool idea would be I usually keep my iphone docked in a holder in my car, which charges it. On a long car trip, say a few hours, someone else in my car could bring the ipad and use it, with internet, from the mywi on my iphone. Battery life wouldn't even be a concern since I'd have my iphone charging and the ipad obviously lasts a long, long time. It would be like having a full computer experience inside a moving car, awesome!

5. kernyboy thread starter macrumors member

thats EXACTLY how I've been using it. but keep in mind, the iphone tends to heat up quite a bit. feels like a warm baked potato.

6. steffi macrumors 6502a

Why WEP does Mifi support WPA?

7. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I really want to give it a try, but I don't know how to jailbreak a 3G on OS 3.1.3. :confused:

8. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

I take it AT&T has no idea of its use
    and you will not get charged for tethering?

Unfortunately, new iPhone and OS on the
    way. Hopefully it can also be jailbroken
    so that MyWi can be used with it.

9. kernyboy thread starter macrumors member

how would AT&T distinguish the difference from iPad data versus iPad connected at 3g? As long as im not streaming video on it and using it for web browsing and email then the data useage should look pretty much the same as what I currently use on my iPhone.

10. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Kerny,

First of all, unless you worded your response
    wrong it's not the iPad usage I am concerned
    about it's the 3G tethering.

AT&T would be charging extra for that.

And if you do tether the iPhone to the iPad
    of course you would use it to browse the web
    and stream videos.

So, my question stands. Does MyWi report
    a tethering or fool the iPhone 3G into thinking
    it is being used under WiFi conditions?

11. msduncan macrumors 6502

There have been zero reported cases of AT&T charging for this.

12. kernyboy thread starter macrumors member

+1 no reported cases of AT&T charging. Its not "true" tethering, at least thats what I gather from these boards. Its turning your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot that you can access. So No, you're not being charged by AT&T for it.

13. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

According to speed test, my iPad is faster using the mywi signal via my iPhone (on 3G) than my iPhone is on 3G directly. Does that make sense? :confused:

14. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I know the ipad processor is a lot faster than the iPhone's, so maybe that is the reason for it.

15. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

Good to hear! My girlfriend doesn't have Internet at her house so she is tethering off her 3G with mywi. We'll see what happens I suppose.

16. HXGuy macrumors 68000

17. jra81984 macrumors newbie

I am waiting to hear the outcome of this iPhone press event.... If tethering is not addressed, I am gonna jailbreak

18. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Why not just jailbreak anyway? Even if they allow tethering (which they won't..or even if they do, it will be via a USB cable probably, which the iPad doesn't support) plus the new OS won't be out until summer...so why not jailbreak now?

19. Blangkang macrumors newbie

Why wait, the OS won't be ready for months. Do it now and don't look back

20. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

what is the best site for a tutorial on a jailbreak? i want to do it from my girlfriends iphone 3g 3.1.2 to get mywi. I have the 3gs but dont want to jailbreak that.

Also. I have a mac. Thanks

And one more thing. When I jailbreak and get mywi do I have to pay for it?

21. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Not sure on the Mac...I used Redsn0w but it was for Windows and it worked great.
    Try Blackra1n from www.blackra1n.com its supposed to be a simple one click jailbreak.

And yes, MyWi costs $9.99 to buy. No monthly fees.

22. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

23. HXGuy macrumors 68000

What do you have to lose? I mean...why not?

24. moviecouple macrumors regular

There should be no way that AT&T would know that you are tethering your iPhone to an iPad. The MyWi app tricks the iPhone into thinking it is a WiFi hotspot and uses your 3G signal as a WiFi signal. That way your iPad just picks up the WiFi signal that the Iphone/3G is putting out. AT&T still see's it as only a 3G signal. The Iphone and iPad essential have the same bandwidth footprint usage. Now, if you tether it to a laptop... Then you will probably use more bandwidth and AT&T might see that you are using more and say something. You should be just fine with a iPhone/iPad combo.