MyWi + iSpot (clearwire) + iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by qckslvrsiete, Oct 14, 2010.

1. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Just wondering if anyone has tried this setup. Basically Clear has an iOS device only hotspot called iSpot, that's available for unlimited 4g coverage for $25 a month. Now I know there are ways to hack the iSpot itself so that it can work with non-iOS devices, but am curious if any has tried the setup in the subject line.

Basically I picture purchasing the iSpot for the cheap 4g internet. Then, when I want to use the iSpot WiFi, which is faster than ATT's 3g, I turn off cellular data on the iPhone, connecting to the iSpot network and running MyWi to basically bridge that wireless internet connection over to my laptop.

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go through, just wondering if it's been tried. I'm thinking it won't work because I don't think MyWi will let you simultaneously use the iPhone as a bridge, but I also could be wrong (have never used MyWi, but would be willing to purchase it if this method were viable).

2. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

you probably could do it that way, but it's hella easy to "hack" an ispot, it consists of loading a config file from the ispots admin panel.

also alot of macbooks work with the ispot without any modification at all.

the clear salesperson was the one who informed me the ispot could be "jailbroken" lol.

3. qckslvrsiete thread starter macrumors regular

good to know, thanks Amnesia

4. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

When Clear first released the iSpot, I really wanted one. It's a shame they don't offer service where I live.