MyWi - Need instructions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kritter217, May 20, 2010.

1. Kritter217 macrumors newbie

I have installed MyWi on my jailbroken iPhone 3G. I am attempting to use it as a WiFi hotspot for my daughter's iPod touch. I have set up MyWi with WEP security and created a code. When I want to use it I turn tethering "On". My phone Wifi is "off". Everything appears to be running correctly. My daughter's iPod touch sees my network and enters the WEP key. Her iPod touch appears to be connected to the new network but she cannot get any kind of actual funcionality. In other words, her status tells her she is connected to my network but she cannot get online.

What am I doing wrong?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why are you turning tethering on? You can’t tether and be a hotspot at the same time.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Turn tethering off thru settings and turn wifi on just to make sure.
    Then try again.
    Test it out with no wep key to make sure you didnt type the password wrong to begin with.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, I didn’t understand why he turned wifi off. It shouldn’t matter.

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

:eek:
    Hahah this is hilarious. Happened to me and a friend f-in aroudn with it when I first got it.
    So what I did was change the Boroadcast name and also change the WEP password I was using.. It kept seeing it so I turned my phone off, his kept seeing it connected to his, but others couldnt see it broadcasted. At that point we figured it was a fluke as it went away eventually.

6. Kritter217 thread starter macrumors newbie

To answer some of your questions (and thanks so far by the way!):

- When I say I have tethering turned on, I am referring to the "WiFi Tethering" option within MyWi.
    - I don't see that I have a tethering options in "Settings" on my phone

I will try turning the WEP key off and see if that solves the problem.

7. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

I have MyWi on my iPhone 3G, I even have WiFi service turned off and it works perfectly fine, I have my broadcast name changed but I dont have a WEP code because after about being five feet away you go to one bar and are barely keeping that connection.

8. Kritter217 thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say you have your broadcast name changed, what do you mean exactly? Mine came up as default to be ______'s iPhone. Do you mean that you changed the default name to something else? Was that just for personal preference or could that somehow be part of my problem.

9. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

Well, I am not sure, the default name for the server that you host is called (Your iDevices Name) (Phone/Touch), its mainly just a preference.

I understand that sometimes things go wrong, however if you redownload it and try it again, if you have SBSettings maybe a process is running for it and its not responding, try running it in Safe Mode, the WEP code is a preference just as making a WAP code on your WiFi Modem.

If you have another iDevice, another iPhone or iTouch, try connecting the iDevice to a server, if it is an iPhone it doesnt matter and try using MyWi on their. I know that if someone is connected to a WiFi with a sercurity code and you broadcast the wifi it becomes available through a backdoor.

This should help get rid of the problem
    1. Delete the package: MyWi (CyDelete or manually in Cydia)
    2. Go and make sure that you have the native tethering on your phone not Cydia/Rock installed settings, my iPhone 3G has tething natively with 3.1.2 Fireware.
    3. Turn Tethering off,
    4. Reboot Phone
    5. Go to Settings > Reset > Reset Network Settings This will just remove all cookies, caches, and history, as well as reset your Network Connections
    6. Then install MyWi
    7. Turn Broadcasting on
    8. Voila!

This is the basic fix settings for any network source in Cydia because if it messes with the Network Settings you need to reset them so that it reset with that add on. Tell me if this works.