Mywi on jailbroken iPhone or iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by rkahl, Mar 14, 2011.

1. rkahl macrumors 65816

2. biomathdude macrumors member

If they can, they've never said a word about it in almost 2 years :D

3. rkahl thread starter macrumors 65816

Doesn't tethered data to a laptop use more data than used on your jailbroken iPhone. I'd like to jailbreak either my iPhone or iPad, but I'm a data hog and afraid of the consequences.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

To me it was a question of "what are they gonna do about it?"

Fine you? Nope, you were using your purchased unlimited data allowance. Terminate your contract? Yippie :rolleyes:

5. biosci macrumors 6502a

So how much does this kill your battery? (on your iphone 4 that is)

6. rkahl thread starter macrumors 65816

Guess I need to bump this back to the front. It appears that AT&T can tell if your illegally tethering your iPhone, but it seems that AT&T is only targeting iPhones. I wonder if iPad's will be next?

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I am looking to get an iPhone 4 from AT&T, I have the 1 Gen iPad and was hoping to use the iPhone for 3G connection on it.

8. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

I am 99.9% positive that AT&T isn't able to know if you are tethering or not. It's all just to scare you (only those with unlimited data). The only thing MyWi does is make your phone into a hotspot -that's it. It doesn't send some weird signal to AT&T telling them you are tethering through MyWi. AT&T is trying to get the people with the unlimited data to a 2 GB plan or tethering plan. They don't want people with the unlimited anymore.

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

If they see your data increase significantly all of a sudden, they might send you a text. At least thats what some users experienced on here according to them.

I'm unlimited with a iPhone 4 with 4.0 OG firmware and baseband. Ill probably JB it one of these days. :cool:

10. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Good to hear. I am no longer getting a cell phone from my work, so I am in the market for a phone. Was trying to decide between a Verizon or AT&T iPhone. My iPad is wifi only, so I wanted a way to connect from time to time.

These things are pretty expensive though.

11. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

iTether uses low power Bluetooth. MyWi drains the battery

So put TetherMe on your iPhone and iTether on the iPad.

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Wii iTether run on the iPad without it being JB.

Looking at both AT&T and Verizon looks like Verizon has a better plan, unlimited data and texting.

13. Mikesus macrumors 6502

And you would be 100% wrong...

All they have to do is DPI. Deep Packet Inspection

They also can use agent strings and a lot of other methods...

14. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I'm using MyWi On Demand to tether my iPad via bluetooth. Does anyone know if iTether use less power or are they one in the same?

15. biosci macrumors 6502a

To use MyWi or iTether, doesn't that require a Jailbreak? iPad 2 isn't jailbroken yet unfortunately. I would like to try that with mywi on my iphone 4

Now, when I do tether to the iPhone 4 with mywi, I see a link (like a chainlink) next to the iPad text in the upper left hand corner. I have read that it means it is being tethered to something. Now, if it knows that, can't it technically send information or a notification that the iPad in question is being tethered and has no plan??

Mike