MyWi Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cclloyd, Feb 6, 2012.

1. cclloyd, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

So I heard that people sometimes get charges or ToS violation notices from their carriers when using MyWi.

My questions are:
    1. Do you get randomly charged, or will they make sure to give you notice first?
    2. Will they like ever stop my service if I don't get a ToS notice while using it?

I use Sprint.

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

People get busted for cheating and stealing every day. But not everybody gets caught.. those who do are made an example of.:cool:

3. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I understand that concept (I think everyone does :p). I'm wondering though if I get warning or will they automatically charge me?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Most pople will get warning or they will just change your plan to the correct tethering plan, in some cases they wil charge you for your MB usage (very expensive).

Now they can if they decide to cancel your service, it is not unheard of (however not a common thing)

5. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

How would they even be able to tell? I have an unlimited data plan.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

With Sprint I havent heard people complaining.
    Its mostly AT&T that goes after unauthorized tethering usage.
    And if they want to look into your account if you're using tons of data they can figure it out.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

there many ways to tell, traffic is very descriptive of what you are doing. What we know for sure is that the system is flagging account for review (so a human can actually inspected), this happen when sudden changes are detecte, like if you have been using an average of 150MB a month and all of the sudden you are on the 5GB

AJ have a good point,,,no many reports on Spring as far warnings but many user experience speed throttle after a while

8. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

So you think I wouldn't get caught if I only used it with my iPad/Laptop for web browsing, and the occasionally download of documents, and the very rare facetime (1-2 times a month for less than 10 min)?

9. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

~This is all for ATT~
    The verdict is still out on what they "exactly" do. Be assured, if we knew what the exact method used to detect tethering was known there would be a working, well known workaround.

That being said though, it almost seems random. I've tethered using my 4S a twice since my home internet dropped and I never got any messages. On both times I was playing games, so I never really broke 1GB of usage. IIRC it was closer to ~90MB then 250MB?

Then again, my brother has tethered to download shows from the previous night ~1GB and he's never gotten a message on his Atrix 4G either.

Lastly, you see that some people here just start tethering and BAM, free msg telling you not to tether, next one = plan change. Just doesn't seem that everyone is on the same playing field so to speak.
    ~End of ATT~

I assume for Sprint, it would be similar, they'd first contact you with a warning then change your plan right under your feet if you break the ToS again. That would actually cover both questions. Again, just a guess. :\

10. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I used to use about 20gb a month on Sprint and they never complained once.

they are hurting so bad you can pretty much get away with anything on their network from past experiences.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what I was thinking too.
    I never heard of a single instance where they did that to any sprint customer.
    But it doesn't mean that it won't happen in the future maybe if they decide to start cracking down.