MyWi (Rock) + iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by GaresTaylan, Apr 29, 2010.

1. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Will the iPad not connect to MyWi unless you buy the no rock version? I have seen mixed reports of this. I have had the rock version for a long time and can get my iPad to connect to it with full bars... but I keep getting told that I have no internet connection, cant connect to the app store, etc. I have used MyWi multiple times on a couple of laptops so I know it has been set up correctly for use.

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

For what it's worth I have the no rock version and the ipad works perfectly with it. (I'm on it right now)

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

+1 for "No Rock" version. The No Rock works fine for me.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Apparently no rock is the way to go but I installed it with rock.

5. GaresTaylan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, any tips then? I just went to Cydia, found the no rock version, and installed it over the regular version (appeared to be a free download since I purchased the other one?)...

Still no dice. Tells me I'm connected with full bars, but will not connect me. No internet, no app store, no mail, etc.

iPhone is on 3.12

*EDIT* I completely uninstalled and reinstalled MyWi and that appears to have fixed it. Thanks everyone.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

Awesome, glad it worked :)

7. dread macrumors 6502a

I installed the rock version and it works perfectly. Very fast

8. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Sorry but what is No Rock ? I could not see any thing in the app store.

9. martinmartin macrumors 6502

I have the rock version and it works great with the iPad.

That said, i see a lot of people on here really dislike rock in general. I guess it slows down the performance of the iPhone?

Can rock be uninstalled without doing a restore? Im thinking about getting rid of it and downloading mywi no rock...

Thanks

10. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

not in the app store. They are Jailbreak app managers. There is Cydia and Rock.

I like Rock.

11. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I've always liked rocks setup and ui but since it effects the phone performance in general I've stuck with cydia even tho cydia is Sooooo slow and gives me errors.

12. tacoshell macrumors regular

Never used rock, have always used Cydia. Are there apps on rock that are not on Cydia? BTW, love mywi no rock with the iPad, but of course the battery performance takes a hit and the phone seems to heat up.

13. moviecouple macrumors regular

I am wondering how safe this version is... compared to the actual Rock version. I mean you are giving them vital info on your iPhone and access. Plus your router info and WEP key. I figure they could somehow use this for their benefit in some way.

The only reason I would switch from Rock to No Rock would be if the battery life was less draining and of course there was no vital info being transmitted. The Rock version does deplete my iPhone badly... even when I am not using it. Before I got Rock, my iPhone would last 2 days of normal use. Now it is 1 day max and sometimes less than that.

14. MT0227 macrumors 6502

+2

15. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

I don't understand how you guys were able to install mywi without screwing up the ipad interface. It works fine after installation but once I rebooted my ipad 3g, the UI turned into iphone interface. Can you guys still confirm that it works without screwing up the UI after ipad reboot?

16. Vic-Viper macrumors regular

I think they are talking about running on an iPhone and tethering to iPad via wifi