MyWi speed dropped by a lot.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by aqua72, Feb 10, 2011.

1. aqua72 macrumors newbie

I've had MyWi for about 5 days now, and use it very often, as I cannot access my campus' wifi. "Up" has been at about 30-40 (usually, today it was 75 for a little) mb.

It just dropped to 2kb, and nothing I do changes it, except drop it to 1 kb. I have full bars, and nothing changed, it just dropped.

Has this happened to anyone else, and is there a way to fix it? Thanks in advance.

~aqua27

2. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Where are you located? There were reports of 3G outages today in some cities/locations, and that could certainly have something to do with it.

3. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Test your 3G connection. Might be the network.

4. svenn macrumors 6502

Slightly OT, but where do you check for 3G outages?

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

At the top of the iPhone screen, next to AT&T. It either says '3G' or 'E'.

6. svenn macrumors 6502

No ****? Wow I never knew

[​IMG]

7. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Ask a stupid question....

8. svenn macrumors 6502

I have had full bars but still unable use the network. Does this not happen to anyone else? Perhaps my phone is on the fritz. I thought this was the type of outage he was referring to.
    Also, see pic above.

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

You saying you have full bars and the 'pic above', which shows No Service, don't make sense.

Also, we do not have enough information from the OP to even respond and, as often happens, he has disappeared.

10. svenn macrumors 6502

The above pic was a one time thing. I only posted it to show that it's possible to have an outage with E still showing, contrary to your post. I experience the full bar outage scenario far more often.

In an attempt to get back on topic, like the OP, I too would like to know why the bars lie to me and I have trouble connecting.

11. Donny Jepp macrumors member

My 3G has also been drastically slowing down lately after tethering. The stupid birch Jackie Cross dumbass customer support doesn't know shot.

12. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Depending on where you are located, you can pick the proper forum here, and if there is a widespread outage of any kind it will usually turn up in a thread here.

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

You can still have the 3G icon showing (indicating a 3G network connection), but have slow or non-existent service.

I guess your ass isn't so smart after all. :apple:

13. MikePA, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

That's what the bars are for, to show how good your signal is. Duh.

Back to the OP, and others, question...

The number of bars show how good your signal is, it has nothing to do with how fast you can transfer data.

All things being equal, 3G will be faster than E.

How fast you can transfer data is a function of the congestion level on the cellular network.

EDIT: The simplest way to identify where the bottleneck is is;
    1. Go to speedtest.net from the tethered device, e.g., your laptop, and run a test.
    2. Use the speedtest app on the tehtering device, e.g., your iPhone.
    3. Compare the 2 sets of numbers.

I connected my MBA to my iPhone using MyWi over Wifi and went to speedtest.net and ran a test. I immediately stopped MyWi and ran speedtest on my iPhone using the same server.

MBA - Ping - 153 ms, U/L - .05, D/L - 1.14
    iPh - Ping - 289 ms, U/L - .31, D/L - 0.38

While you are uninformed about my a$$, I imagine you are intimately familiar with many others.

14. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I never said anything to the contrary, and the number of signal bars does not directly correlate to how fast your data connection is (which you seem to understand as well). :confused:

You are also forgetting that other factors can contribute to data transfer rates including (but not limited to) switching equipment malfunction and other provider-end elements.

My point which you seem to be missing and/or dancing around is that as you point out, just because your display shows full bars and the 3G icon does not mean you are going to see ideal performance. You seem to understand this based on your post above, yet your first reply to the OP is a snarky, contradictory statement.

Multiple choice question for you. Are you insinuating:

1. I like anal sex?
    2. I am a proctologist?
    3. I am a dog?
    4. I spend more time then I should arguing with feckwits on the interwebs?

Take your time and let us know your answer.

15. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

My first reply was not to the OP, genius. Try actually reading posts and who is quoted next time.

16. moonwalk macrumors member

MacRumors is an unfriendly forum

"While you are uninformed about my a$$, I imagine you are intimately familiar with many others.

Multiple choice question for you. Are you insinuating:
    I like anal sex?
    I am a proctologist?
    I am a dog?
    I spend more time then I should arguing with feckwits on the interwebs?"

The above is why I increasingly don't like to visit MacRumors. This forum has to be one of the most backward and unfriendliest places on the web. Hope you guys are happy. The OP asked a simple question. Why is everyone such a jerk on this forum?

17. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Where did you answer the OPs question?

To refresh everyone's memory, here's what the OP wrote and they have not been back since.

No question here.

The OP has already assumed what they are seeing is the fault of MyWi. So my answers are;
    • No
    • N/A
    • You're welcome.