MyWi / Tethering ignorance; please clarify?

Luminyx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
How does MyWi or tethering affect data usage? I have a limited 2GB data plan so this is a concern for me if it does use data. A clarification would be nice :) Thanks.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
How does MyWi or tethering affect data usage? I have a limited 2GB data plan so this is a concern for me if it does use data. A clarification would be nice :) Thanks.
You're using your phone's 3G plan on your computer/other wireles devices.

The amount of data you use while tethering gets counted to your 2G data plan on your AT&T cell phone account.

Basically, you can blow through your 2GB plan in a day or two while tethering.

I tethered for a few hours last night just with normal web-browsing and blew through several hundred MBs of data

The good thing is that MyWi shows you in real-time how much data you're using, so you can keep an eye on it

Luminyx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Okay, thanks! For some reason, I got the impression from people that it wasn't using data, which I couldn't understand, since MyWi so greatly praised. I guess purchasing it would be quite useless to me then.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Okay, thanks! For some reason, I got the impression from people that it wasn't using data, which I couldn't understand, since MyWi so greatly praised. I guess purchasing it would be quite useless to me then.
If you want to tether your computer (or your Wifi iPad) it won't be useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.