MyWi/Tethering Question

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by NestOfRobins, Dec 29, 2011.

1. NestOfRobins macrumors member

I am trying to tether my JB iPad2 (WiFi) to my wife's *not* JB iPhone4S.

Is this possible w MiWi or must the iPHONE be JB?

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Just contact your carrier and have them authorize the tethering. Will probably cost you about $20 per month.

3. mdhwoods macrumors regular

Who made you the tether police? Pretty simple question he is asking. A lot of people feel that paying for something you already pay for is thievery in itself. IE I pay for 2 gigs of data, should be up to me how i use it.

To the op I believe your wife's 4s needs to be jb. Which is not possible yet.

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I make it a policy not to recommend actions to people that will very likely violate their contracts with their carriers, lead to unexpected charges or cancellation of their contracts. Obviously there are ways to avoid paying for tethering that involve rooting or jailbreaking a device. Obviously, too, that is not even a possibility at the moment with the iPhone 4S which the OP indicated was his wife's phone.

Thus the only way to accomplish what the OP asked about was the advice I offered. That doesn't make me the "tether police." It simply means that, unlike you, I provided a solution for the OP.

I don't make the rules that carriers impose on their customers. I happen to believe that the carriers are bloodsuckers. But that doesn't change the fact that when you purchase a phone you sign a contract agreeing to abide by their rules. If you choose not to do so, that's your concern. Personally, I abide by contracts I sign.

5. KHC831 macrumors member

This is like advising people to buy a Mac when they ask how do you get anti-virus software. Why do you even bother to post in the hack section?

6. jsh1120, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Because jailbreaking an iPhone in itself is not a violation of a contract with a carrier. Tethering a phone without paying for the privilege is and can lead a user to being charged without their permission or having their service canceled.

Furthermore, there are innumerable anti-virus software packages, both free and otherwise. As already noted, there is no way at the present time to jailbreak an iPhone 4S to accomplish the OP's objective. Your analogy makes no sense.